Sunday, August 09, 2009

Farewell Bonn

Dated: Monday, August 3, 2009

This morning I said my final goodbye to Bonn and my host mom. I always knew the end was coming, but it truly did not hit until I was here in Berlin. Before the trip, I was not incredibly excited about the host family idea. All of my siblings that had studied abroad had always lived in dorms with other students, so I always thought that would have been the funner and more ideal way to spend my time in Europe. But, after these past four weeks, I realize that I have learned so much more about the lifestyle and culture in Germany due to my host mother and am grateful this program was structured so. AIB, you have done a great job matching me with my German home away from Texas!

Now, I spend my final days in Berlin. Earlier, we had a bike tour around the city and got to see the government buildings. It is crazy to think that only twenty years ago, the city was divided, and further that only sixty years ago, the entire city was in ruins. They had done an amazing job reinventing themselves as an influential and incredibly diverse city. I also love the walking light people in East Berlin! It’s such a random and unique feature of the city and its past.

Oh yeah, I can’t believe how short Penelope Cruz was in real life!!

No comments: