Thursday, August 06, 2009

First bike ride in 8 years!

We are ending the trip in Berlin and on the day we arrived we had a bike tour of the city. I was a little nervous about this because I haven't ridden a bike since about 6th grade! And Berlin has a lot of cobble stone streets which worried me because they are uneven which could have caused my tire to get stuck and send me flying through the air. :) Once we got started on the bike ride I realized how much fun it is and now I want to buy a bike to ride back home (only on days that it's not TOO hot!). Berlin is a beautiful city. It's really big so you would think it would be hard to know where you are at but the crosswalk signs help with that. In East Berlin the crosswalk man has on a hat and in West Berlin there is no hat.

On Tuesday we had a bunch of lab tours at the Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, which was really cool. We got a lecture from Dr. Besser about embryonic stem cells and how they are using them in medicine. I think the use of stem cells is a great idea and I really enjoyed his lecture. The coolest tour of the day was the MRI facility. They had a super powerful machine and when we went in there all of the girls felt their bras shift a little! :) Brittany's shoes where also magnetic and they would angle themselves toward the magnet.

No comments: