Sunday, August 02, 2009

Alex could've been a pimp... or the adventures of Stephanie and Caitlin part deux

Our last full day in Bonn, Stephanie and I decided to visit the famed Drachenfels, which is the site of two castles (one was built in the 19th century and is home to a rich guy, the other is in ruins) and the quarry sandstone for the Koeln cathedral was taken from until they realized they were destroying the mountain.

For this adventure I took the bus for the first time out of the city to meet Stephanie in Ramersdorf, this was weird because thanks to the fact that I live right in Bonn, I've really lived as a city girl and can walk you around good chunks of Bonn but have very little idea how to use most of the public transportation. Thankfully Stephanie met me on the bus and made sure I didn't get off at the wrong station. Of course, the both of us did get off two stops late in Koenigswinter so Stephanie led us through the city and we eventually came to the Drachenfelsbonn, the private railway we took to the top of the mountain. Unfortunately the donkeys were only for children, this was a huge disappointment, but on the train Stephanie and I did get to use our burgeoning ability to smile, nod, and generally give the perception that we can understand the kind people who chat with us in German.

The top of the mountain gave an incredible view of the surrounding countryside which would have been even better if it wasn't misty and threatening rain. We walked up to the ruins and took some fun pictures and I remembered that my camera has a timer feature, so that proved useful. Before leaving the mountain Stephanie and I had some pommes in honor of Alex, who pondered and then rejected the idea of staying in Bonn with us.


This is Stephanie's and my second most romantic outing for two, and of course the pommes.

The hike down the mountain provided even more wonderful views, and we purposely ended up in the town Conrad Adenauer used to live in. Although we didn't visit his house (it was starting to rain) just being in that charming little town was proof enough for why Mr. Adenauer promoted Bonn as the place for West Germany's capital so heavily.

I'm off to enjoy my last dinner with my host family.

Ciao,
Caitlin

1 comment:

Alex said...

Hey! I know I missed out with you guys, but I am glad y'all had a great time! Well thanks for the picture update, and guess I'm not cool enough to be y'alls pimp!