Wednesday, August 05, 2009

August 5, 2009

Monday we left Bonn for Berlin. It was a little sad leaving our German home away from home. My host mom drove me to the train station with all my luggage. She told me to send her an email when I got back home so that she could know I got there safely (just like a mother). My host family was very sweet and I am greatful for all they did for me during my stay in Bonn.

As we waited in the train station, I decided to buy a pretzel to eat with my delicious Nutella during the train ride. So I went up to the counter and asked for a salted pretzel. The lady replied in German, which i clearly didnt understand. The lady standing behind me interpreted that they weren't making salted pretzels today because salt is bad for your bady, but that I could buy a buttered pretzel if I wanted... (because butter isn't bad for the body). Good 'ol German logic.

So we made it to Berlin and the first thing we did was a bike tour through the city. This was so much fun! We rode past where the wall use to stand and even saw a piece of it. We rode past government buildings and monuments. I think my favorite was the Holocaust Memorial. The memorial is row after row of uneven columns, all different shapes and sizes. The artist who created it wanted the work to be up to the interpretation of the viewer, but some say that the columns symbolize headstones like in a jewish cemetery which are worn away with time until they collapse.

No comments: