Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Host families are wonderful

My host family was great from the very beginning. The food provided was not exactly filling as they normally ate bread and tomatoes for dinner, but it's what they do and I needed to learn to appreciate that. I got kind of angry in the middle of the program because they wouldn't discipline their children and they gave them everything, but again I had to understand that they aren't my children and it's not my place to tell the parents how they should be raised. My host mom, who started out energetic and happy, began to get really tired and stressed out by the end. I was rarely there and didn't bother her at all so I knew she wasn't angry with me, but at times it felt like she didn't want me there. In the end though, I realized how unusually hot it was outside and she had to spend the entire day taking care of two kids who don't listen very well. I can definitely appreciate her frustration. On the last day she started to choke up and cry when I was bidding the family farewell. I know now that she got attached and that they absolutely wanted me there the entire time. I had to think of it in terms of, "if they came to my house when my brothers and I were growing up I'm sure they would have thought my parents were frustrated and out of control." I definitely enjoyed the experience and thank them so much for their hospitality and acceptance into their home. They are two great people and I hope they continue to take students in the future. Rock on Familie Nunning!!

No comments: