Thursday, August 03, 2006

Berlin at Night

So, I'm not planning to talk about my days in Berlin, as they are similar to my days in other cities. I do want to talk about the nights however. The first night I stayed in and brushed my teeth for 7 minutes. Really - I got distracted. The second night a group of us went to Unsicht Bar - a bar run by blind people that is served in complete darkness. It was as if we'd fallen into an abyss or something. When I was little, I used to blindfold myself and pretend that I was blind, but this was the full experience. At first I tried not to use my fingers, only tentatively touching my plate to identify the location of the food and then using my fork. By the dessert, I would practicly put my whole hand into my plate trying to identify what I had, and only occasionally use silverware. It is an entirely different lifestyle. Because everyone was being so loud, it was hard to use my other senses to extend my world. It seems as if my entire table consisted of Karen, Erin, and Kathy, who I was sitting by, although I could occasionally catch the conversation of the rest of our group at the other end of the table. It was an extremely isolating experience. Though our meals were extremely expensive, it was a four course meal, and besides that the experience was mind blowing. I would recommend it to anyone, especially friends of mine who are going into special education. Tomorrow we all depart, and I have to say I'm not particularly sad - I will get to see those important to me again later. And I get to see my family!!!! Yay. Tschuss Deutschland.

No comments: