Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Holucast Museum...

This isn't going to be a long blog like the rest. A few of us went to the Holucast Museum in Berlin today and I've never before felt the past weigh down so heavily on me. Walking down the steps into the underground museum, I felt as if the 2,711 8 ton concrete blocks above me were riding my shoulders down into the darkness. The stories, the letters, and the names are so vivid in my mind right now. I've learned about the Holucast my entire life and had two tours of Dachau, but this was an entirely different experience. A tour guide would have ruined the feeling of solitude needed to appreciate this. This was something you had to do on your own. It was silent and you just knew everyone around you was thinking the same thing. I can only speak for myself but there was a whole flood of emotions running through me: anger, disbelief, hopelessness, sorrow, pain, isolation, confusion, and finally guilt. All I could think was, "this should have never happened," and "God, why are humans so utterly cruel?". These lost lives can never be avenged, only remembered and learned from.

No comments: