Thursday, August 10, 2006

Allllll by myseeeeeeeelf!

So after everyone left me by Friday morning I was left alone in Berlin. I really had no idea where I wanted to go but I knew I wanted to go out in Berlin one last time so I took all my stuff to the train station and bought roundtrip tickets to Brugge for Saturday morning. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I had to buy another suitcase for all my souvenirs that was even bigger than the one I brought. I bought a cheap one and the first time the suitcase went down a step the wheel broke and I was left lugging two suitcases across cobble stone, up steps, and onto trains when one would barely roll. That day I went back to the Checkpoint Charlie museum then I shopped in every H&M I could find. I went back to the train station where I got ready to go out in the WC. I've become a champ at that sort of thing. I went back to the club Kristen and I went to before (Far Out) and there wasn't as big of a crowd. I pretty much went there to find this cute German guy I met before but he wasn't there, and instead I met an even cuter Italian! For Kristen...that Turkey guy was there too and tried talking to me like I didn't remember who he was! Anyway I had to leave early and I decided to take a taxi back to the train station since the guys outside were making me fear for my life. Don't worry, Mom, I know you are reading this. Once I got back to the train station I passed out on the bench where I was awoken by the COLD morning weather of Berlin. I decided to put more clothes on but I was still wearing my dress from before so I had on my panjama pants under it, a tshirt, sweatshirt and my jean jacket over it. If I didn't look like a homeless person then I don't know. Anyway I made it to Brugge with ZERO euros on me and I tried dragging all my luggage across the cobble stone to the town center but i got about 100feet before I decided to beg a taxi to take me to an ATM then my hotel. He took me to about 5 different ATMs that wouldn't take my card or anybody elses card and I had already racked up a 10 euro fare. After telling me he couldn't accept a credit card, he said he could if it was 25euros and over. So for about a ride that should have been 7euros it cost me 25! I just cried when I got to my hotel because I was tired of carrying around my luggage, had no money, and everyone had gone home. I got over it and had the receptionist charge ONE EURO to my room just so I could get a bus into the city. Anywaaaaaaaaay, I rented a bike went around to the cathedrals and ate an Italian dinner on the Square. Then on Monday I went on a bus tour that took me to a Castle, a Chateau, a Chocolate factory, Damme, and belgian waffle and beer tasting. I met an older Austrailian couple who offered me a place to stay if I ever went to Austrailia to see the turtles lay their eggs. THey also told me about a program that students can do working with those turtles and gave me the doctor's information. I'll have to look into it....Belgian beer though, is apparently supposed to be better than German beer. Believe it or not, by then I was all beered out and all I wanted was vodka so I couldn't tell a difference. I went out that night to see what the Brugge clubs had to offer....okay, so the shops are only open from 10-6pm so I'm wondering what exactly the people of Brugge do the other 16 hours of the day they aren't working, because they don't have any sort of nightlife! Tuesday morning I woke up early to catch a train back to Duesseldorf. After having to change 3 different times I definately got off a station too late and missed my connecting train to Cologne. I finally made it back to Duesseldorf where the Hauptbanhoff welcomed me with its usual aroma. I did one last turn at the Aldstadt before I headed home to Dallas. I've never been more excited to go home!

No comments: