Saturday, August 05, 2006

All by my lonesome

It´s so strange to read everyone else´s blogs and realize that they´re already at home, back to normal life. As of yesterday at 4 in the morning, I´m the only one left in Berlin. Today consisted of a visit to the Pergamon Museum and a final well rounded German meal, complete with all of the German food groups - a tall pilsner beer, smoked pork with gravy, potato puree, sauerkraut, warm apfelstrudel with ice cream and whipped cream, and an espresso...a gastronomical masterpiece. It was interesting to walk back by all of the sites and buildings we had seen before and get my bearings. Berlin is an amazing city, kind of like a conglomeration of the good aspects of the other German cities we´ve visited so far...huge, with tons of stuff to do, art and museums, nightlife, history and culture, lots of space and parks, and not too expensive. Granted, I´m just about ready to get back home and slow down for a while. I´m ready to see friends and family, to stay in one place for longer than a week, and to get back into the groove, although after this trip, I´m definitely going to have to put some bumps in that groove to keep things interesting. I have a feeling life is going to be a little bit different after this trip. I definitely want to take language courses to learn more of the language and figure out a way to get back to Europe and Germany, or just to see more of the world in general. It´s such a great experience to visit another culture, learn about it and interact with it, and take some of it with you. Anyways, I´m going to go drop my things back at the hostel, and tonight´s probably going to be an early night, since I´m supposed to be at the airport 3 hours early to check in and my flight leaves at 7:30 in the morning. This is the end, but the memories will not soon be forgotten. Vielen dank to Dr. Wasser, Dr. Musser, Miriam, Lars, Celine, Trevor, everyone else at the AIB, and everyone on this trip for such a great experience. For the last time from Germany, Tschüss.

No comments: