Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Berlin

Greetings from Berlin! We made it to Berlin after a long train ride, with a lot of suitcases! Monday was our last class day, and we just had a cultural studies lecture, a group discussion, and evaluations. After that, Chrissy and I went to the Aldstadt to shop a bit, and I got a new book for the plane ride home. Monday night I packed, and I was sorry to say goodbye to my host family. They have been so nice to me, and I will miss them. They even got me some candies and shower gel. Very nice. Tuesday morning, my host mother took me to the train station, and despite lots of traffic from the Tour de Berlin, we made it there! When we arrived in Berlin, we grabbed lunch, then headed on a bus tour of the city. We walked through the Bradenburg gate and by the Reichstag and the Holocaust Memorial, and then bussed through the rest of the city. We got to see a portion of the Wall that was still intact. That evening, a group of us went to a lovely Spanish-German restaurant near our hotel. I enjoyed my dinner, and had quite a bit of Sangria...Anyway, we got back early and went to bed. Karen helped me move my bed into her room, and so there's five of us staying in a tiny room...hahah! Today we toured the Museum Charite, which is this old medical museum. I loved the pathology area, so much preserved stuff! Also, there was an exhibit on synthetic body parts, very cool. I really enjoyed this part. We had sushi for lunch, then went off in pursuit of the Birkenstock store, which we found. I bought really cute clogs- I'll show them off when I get home! Tonight we're going to dinner at this restaurant that simulates being blind, basically its all dark. Very strange. I think it will be an experience. After that, we might try to find a pub crawl, since its our last night all together. Tomorrow is our bike tour, then I fly back to Duesseldorf. I can't believe how quickly this trip has gone by, but I am missing everyone at home. See you soon! Tschuss!

No comments: