Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Berlin & Some Cultural Issues...

Berlin seems, a least so far, to be a very interesting city. I like the way that the city has been rebuilt, preserving aspects of old architecture mixed in with several more modern looking designs. This could be seen right away if you were to compare the style of the new Hbf and the old government buildings. The weather has been beautiful, making it enjoyable to jsut walk around and see the city, as we did last night. Cafe Moscow was a smashing success, and I would highly reccommend it to anyone who has not yet been.

And now a few Random issues that I have noticed over the last week or so...
-German timeliness? really as far as I can tell this does not apply to the intercity transit. In the last 3 weeks I think every train Kyle and I have taken has been late to varying degrees. The public transportation is great, but when a train is supposedto leave at 3 in the morning, what excuse is there for it being late? traffic maybe?

-Translations on the trains. I have by no means mastered the German language, but I'm pretty sure that speaking for 5 minutes in German doesnt translate to "Dusseldorf Hbf". If thats the translation I get, I would almost rather not have one at all. The fake translation just feels like I'm being mocked.

-I don't know anything about my host family. A lot of people seemed to have the emotional departure before we left for Berlin, and a nice farewell dinner on Monday night. Kyle and I got soup by ourselves and as usual did not see anyone from our host family the morning we left. Somehow this was fitting when considering the experience up to that point. They were very nice, but the complete inability to carry on a conversation kept us from forming any kind of bond with the family, and it is a shame because they were all extremely nice people (at least as far as we could gather, but who knows what they were saying about us).

No comments: