Wednesday, July 11, 2018

With a shadow of a doubt

Loud noise, very loud noise coming from my bedroom door. Something is yelling at me, what could it mean? Oh, it's Chandler yelling at me to get up just like every other time we've had an early wake up call.
I throw on some clothes, grab my bowl of fruit, and run out the door.
Moments later I'm at a hospital and I'm all scrubbed up. They throw me into a random room and boom I'm lifting people onto the operating table. I got to watch and kinda participate in three different surgeries and it was honestly one of the coolest experiences of my life. I watched one doctor mess up putting in a toe screw 20 times, watched one dude bleed profusely from his jugular when he wasn't supposed to, and I literally just walked into any room I pleased. That day rejuvenated my love for the medical field and it was exactly what I needed at this point in my life.
Next day, I was scaling the side of a giant structure. We returned to Cologne and I got the chance to climb to the top of the beautiful cathedral. I am afraid heights. We went on a very sketchy elevator and I felt my heart fall all the way back to the ground. We finally got to the top of the elevator and I was so excited, until they told me that I still had to climb like 200 stairs to get to the top. Leg day is crazy.
I defeat the last flight of stairs and boom a beautiful breeze lightly slaps my face. I look out and can see the entire city of Cologne and the two menacingly enchanting towers that look down upon the city. I felt like a bird, but like a very powerful bird who owned a kingdom. I was king bird.
After that, I bought a 300 euro train ticket to Paris. Also, if you plan on going on this study abroad, please invest in a Eurail pass so you don't spend your lifesavings on train tickets.
I got to meet up with one of my best friends in Paris and it was one of the best times of my life.
It started out amazing, I got pickpocketed.
I was a little mad at Paris at this point and I started to believe the "Paris is overrated" philosophy.
The next day was really one of the best days of my life.
We walked all over town and got to see all the major landmarks that until that day were just figments of my imagination. The Eiffel tower truly is spectacular. We all just sat down in front of it with a couple bottles of wine, some cheese, and some salami. It was a beautiful day in one of the coolest cities in the world. We literally just sat there and laughed because we couldn't believe that we were where we were. We sat there for hours just relishing in the moment.
Next, after the bottles of wine, we went on the best bike tour of my life. We zoomed all through Paris and learned about its history while sitting in awe in front of its structures. We rolled up to the Louvre as the sun was setting and I've really just never felt so peaceful in my life. The bike tour ended in a river cruise, with more wine. I've never been more at a loss of words until I saw that Eiffel tower lit up at night, but then it started twinkling and I coulda died in that moment.
Paris was all the hype and I will hype it forever.
                                                                                 

No comments: