Monday, July 09, 2018

I already know I don’t want to leave. Week 1.

Wow. What a crazy and exciting week it has been already. I cannot believe that just a week ago I had never even been to Europe, and now I am writing this blog post on my way back from Brussels. This past week has undoubtedly been challenging, and I have loved every second of it. I have had to learn how to communicate with people who do not speak English well. I have had to learn how to navigate public transportation around Bonn, and in another country as well. But I have quickly adjusted and Bonn already feels like home. On the evening we arrived our host dad took us with him to walk the dog on the Rhine. It was amazing walking along the edge of the Rhine in the cool evening air watching the sunset. I have never seen anything like it. Over the course of just one week I have fallen in love with Bonn. From waking up with the Rhine right outside my window, to buying fresh fruit and gelato in the market and eating them in the Hofgarten, it is safe to say that I never want to leave this place. The excursions have been amazing as well. I can now say that I have been in a real German castle, and had class in a garden. This past weekend a group of us traveled to Brussels. We had no real plan on what we wanted to see so we started our day with some Belgian waffles and trekked around the city. We ate traditional Belgian fries and chocolate, and were awestruck around just about every corner at the elaborate architecture of the old cathedrals and buildings. I was also blown away by a street performance of a father and son violin duo. It was an absolutely beautiful city. I cannot wait for the weeks to come!



No comments: