Monday, July 02, 2018

an incredible (& hectic) week - Week 5


This past week I traveled to Vienna, Budapest, and Prague. Although I felt like I was constantly moving, it was easily one of my favorite weeks and I made some amazing memories with the people around me.
We traveled as a program to Vienna and learned all about the history of medicine. On the first day, we toured the city and ate gulasch for dinner (I tried the horse gulasch, it was quite interesting but something that I most likely will never have again). 
The next day, we visited the Josephenium and their collection of anatomical wax models made in the 1700’s. It was amazing to witness how our understanding of medicine has developed and advanced. We also visited a crypt under a cathedral that housed unidentified mummies. That night we attended a classical concert of Mozart and Beethoven pieces and it was amazing!
Lastly, we visited an old insane asylum that is now a museum of various diseased body parts and organs. It was so cool to witness this aspect of medicine and how well the organs were preserved. We also toured the Sigmund Freud museum and learned all about his life and career in psychoanalysis. Vienna surpassed all of my expectations and I learned so much about their medical history!
For our long weekend, I traveled to Budapest, Hungary and Prague, Czech Republic with Cassidy, Madison, and Kylie. Budapest was beautiful and very different from any other city that I have visited. My favorite things were taking a ride up to the Buda Castle (it had the best view of the city) and ruin pub that we went to our first night!
We took an overnight train to Prague, which turned out to be very chaotic. No one could sleep because we had loud people next to us all night and then Madison and Cassidy jumped off of the train (literally) a stop too early. After we got some coffee and breakfast, we walked around the city and crossed the Charles Bridge to the Prague Castle. We also went to the John Lennon Wall and the old Jewish Ghetto. Everything we encountered was breathtaking! Prague is most definitely a city that I will be visiting again and for much longer than 24 hours.
Despite the constant traveling (I’m currently on a 10 hour bus ride back to Bonn), this past week has been some of the best moments of my life and allowed me to see countless beautiful things!

Classical concert in Vienna

Vienna, Austria

Ride up to the Buda Castle in Budapest

Budapest, Hungary

Ruin pub in Budapest

Prague, Czech Republic

John Lennon Wall

Our unplanned matching outfits in Prague 




No comments: