Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Beelin

We left Bonn forever. We got on a train and left the place that I had been calling home. It was time to start our last adventure.

We roll into the city and it was totally different than what I imagined. Actually I wasn't sure what I imagined, but this was different. We immediately get onto a tour bus which takes us around and shows us the major landmarks. So many things that I had seen in the history books were coming to life right in front of my eyes, but from the confines of the bus, I still failed to truly grasp it.

The next day was one of the most unique days of life. In the morning, we split into groups and went off for the day with hardly any idea about what we were gonna do. We cross the street and enter a cemetery that I didn't even know existed. We waited there for like an hour for our guide for the day to show up. After some time, all of a sudden, a women appeared from the bushes and smelled like lemon grass. She calmly led us through the cemetery and to her secret bee oasis. It was one of the weirdest, calmest experiences of my life.

Usually, if I see a bee, I run the other way. Today, I've never felt more calm in my life. Silke taught us how to be calm with bees in order to work with them. She showed us their home and a couple of the things that they produce. I've never had fresher honey in my life, it was truly ridiculous.

Later that night I had one of the most meaningful experiences of my life. Me and some friends were headed to Brandenburg to try and see some of the landmarks in person instead of on a bus. The bus was following its route then, all of a sudden, the doors opened and the most beautiful classical music filled the bus and grabbed my head. Something inside of me said "get off the bus." So I did. I said "I'm getting off," and I did. A couple of my friends followed me.

I get off the bus and the music completely fills my head as I look at my surroundings. The sun is setting so there is this kinda euphoric glow on everything. People are everywhere laughing and smiling and just having a good time. There are two distinct buildings that surrounded the sort of square area. I had no idea where I was, but I was happy.

Robert, Maddie, Madison, Cassidy, and I all just sat there and absorbed the environment. After relaxing for a bit, Robert decided to look up where we were. We were right in between the Berliner Dom and the Altes museum. Right where we stood once stood thousands of Nazis supporting Hitler as he stood on the steps of the Altes museum. It was so weird, yet pleasing, to feel the calm happiness that filled the air while also thinking about its history. In a place that once housed so much evil, now housed happiness. I felt as if the world was spinning all around me, but I was completely still. That moment taught me a lot about growth and time.

It felt like hundreds, maybe thousands, of years had to separate these time points in time, but it was hardly half a century. Time truly is a magical thing, and if it doesn't heal all wounds, it at least provides one with enough distractions to cloud the past.

This moment was exactly what I needed, all my experiences in Europe were somehow tied together and for some reason, I just felt at peace. Thank you Berlin for effectively finishing my experience, I can not thank you enough.

No comments: