Sunday, July 15, 2018

DIY: Personalized Berlin Wall Graffiti(Week 6)

Way too much time went into making this faux Berlin Wall collage, but maybe Jane would approve. Then again, she might not considering there is stolen art included in this photo. Nonetheless, there are 5 reflections, illustrated by graffiti, that I wanted to touch on from the last week in the HoM program.

1) Yo-Yo Hitler -Juan Sly

Going to Berlin immediately after the weekend visiting Auschwitz caused this inner conflict between the importance of learning Nazi history and feeling disinterested due to the repetitiveness of hearing stories from the Nazi Era. Although I would internally feel guilty for thinking of the latter, ultimately this history shapes how current German polices and citizens interact with one another and the world. This acceptance of history is something I wish America would adopt. 

2) Meditation and "Mindful Eye" -Unknown

One of the biggest takeaways from this entire study abroad will be from "My Berlin Day". Dr. Nico Rönpagel was the tour guide for the group I was assigned. He is a remarkable human who encouraged us to connect with our surroundings through soundscapes and to connect with ourselves via mental check-ins. Even before the week was over, I found myself mentally checking in. There are physiological changes that occur in the body when one meditates. This practice is something I 100% will try to implement when I return home. Nico also embraces his free-spirited nature, but not in a showing off kind of way. He conveyed this sense of acceptance and peace. His mindfulness exercises and overall vibe reassured me that I can find creative outlets for the inner hippie that lives inside of me. By far, "My Berlin Day" was one of the most impactful days abroad.

3) One sweet goodbye - Yuliya Vladkovska

This artwork is the large colorful hand on the face. Despite stealing this photo off Goggle Images without knowing anything about it, the title of this piece is surprisingly so fitting for this last week. How bittersweet it is to be going home. Like the contrast between the expression and colors, there is such a duality in leaving. I will get to see my family, friends, my bed, air-conditioning and many more familiar comforts I miss. On the other hand, I am going to miss the people I met in Germany, the public transportation, the clean tap water, the craftsmanship, the artwork, the closeness, the flowers, the overall lifestyle abroad. However, I am ready to leave. Not because of homesickness or not enjoying Europe itself, but six weeks with the same 30 people has been challenging this last week considering I come from a large town. Safe to say this program confirmed my dream to live in Europe, at least for a few years. 

4) Broken Beer Bottle -Unknown

During this entire study abroad, the temptation to over drink was prevalent. Some days I gave in, others not. By the end of the trip my alcohol tolerance had increased to an uncomfortable(and unaffordable) level. Being 21, I was not "crazy" when drinking abroad, but I did have to take care of some of my peers. This bottle is on my final reflection to symbolize the last night of going out in Berlin(we crashed an event with an open dance floor and an open bar), and more so the question of why I drink? It is a habit I would like to cut back on, although the pressure to get drunk is high in college and at home. However, I do not see myself drinking much the remainder of the summer, and I hope to drink less my senior year. 

5) Black Sharpie -Emily Disney

Bold lines were used to fill in the gaps between the other major points. Likewise I am hoping this program will provide some lessons on how I can better equip myself to handle the in-between moments in life. Back home, it is easy to view problems or inconveniences out of portion. By being abroad, I gained a better understanding that there is a much larger picture to life. From fixing a flat tire, to taking my GRE, to mental fatigue, all of these are manageable. All of these are occurring along side global crises. Not that these do not matter, but I just have to do the next thing and just start. Starting is the hardest part, but I need to just say "Go!"  I am extremely thankful for this opportunity to widen my perspective on life, gain confidence in who I am as a person, and most importantly, increase my self-efficacy. Thank-you to everyone who made this dream a reality. I will always look back to this study abroad as a milestone in my life. Thank-you again. 

No comments: