Sunday, July 08, 2018

Next Band Name idea: Eyeball in my Goulash

After arriving from Milan and Zurich, quite literally, 20-30 minutes prior to our groups’ meeting time, it’s fair to say that my body was not ready for Vienna.  We had left to Vienna and was taken onto our adventures. It is hard to admit that after traveling from European country to country for weeks on end, the buildings and architecture started to meld into a single entity. This was not as true with Vienna, as I had noticed that the Eastern sides of Europe had a different feeling. The next day, when Dr. Snobel arrived, I could not believe my eyes. I had heard of him before, but really, I was star struck. He was really knowledgeable about the history, especially for his ability to forsee the future. When he had showed us his magical potions, that’s when I knew he had really come prepared (my favorite being the gummy peaches with curing powers). Once we proceeded to the Goulash museum, I had felt as if I was getting the true Austrian experience. To me, food is an essential part of a country’s culture and being immersed in traditional cuisine really put me in the proper atmosphere. But, what really took me aback were the wax museum and the Fools Tower. Simply the level of detail that was put into the wax exhibit was astonishing, and having taken canine anatomy, it was interesting to see the comparison between the human and dog (since I had never seen a human cadaver). What I wish the exhibit included was an explanation on how the process worked to get the wax structure, how the real organ was modeled to form the wax. Nevertheless, it was incredibly impressive and a memory I will hold forever. In addition, the Fools Tower, much to my surprise was incredibly interesting. The displays were out of this world, by far the best one being the stuffed person. At first I thought about it…oh yeah its just a stuffed person. But then the more that I thought about it…oh my god it’s a stuffed PERSON. The tour guide was incredibly knowledgeable, and I would honestly work there myself if I were in Vienna. Psychiatry was never really my forte, but learning about the social aspects and how the population dealt with the mentally ill was an eye opener. To know that at one point a medial condition, a metabolic process that is under no control, was punished on the same level as murder. We then continued onto our educational ventures, including the classical concert. My biggest concern was that my bronchitis would ruin the emotions and atmosphere of the beauty of the music. My coughs, as I expected, was unfortunately adding to the beat of the quartet. Nevertheless, it was a once in a lifetime experience to be able to listen to classical music in the classical capital of the world. Once we had visited the crypt, I surely had thought that being face to face with death would be a lot more difficult than it was. As a future physician, I often think about at what point in my life will I have a breaking point- what case will I encounter that will strike me to my nauseous self? I have faced and heard of many unfortunate events but I have yet to experience it. On the final day, we had gone to the Freud museum. The only exposure I’ve had to Freud was the amount of psychology and sociology I was forced to learn for the MCAT. I was familiar with the Id, Ego and Superego theories and more of Freud’s ideas, but in this house I was more interested in his personal life and how it contributed to his work.
            That weekend I had headed to Budapest, Hungary. I had no real expectations, so when I had arrived to our Airbnb which was located dead in the center of the city, I was astonished. The city was full of life, with the majority of the population having a younger demographic. The nightlife covered the whole city- with bars, restaurants and clubs covering all the corners. In the morning, I had gone to a (fake) cherry blossom café, that was covered in the trees. Next, we had trekked to the famous thermal baths. It was like an outdoor pool that was about the temperature of a hot tub. After being on the move nonstop it was a nice break to finally sit and relax for a bit, floating in hot water. We had then gone back to our airbnb to change for the highlight of the night: a sunset river cruise. The view from the top floor was breathtaking, the sun’s rays beaming over the parliament and city skyline. By the end of the cruise, the city began to light up and with the last sip of champagne the excursion was over. On the walk back to our hotel, we had stopped by a “thai massage” place that had those fish that eat away the dead skin of your feet. After some convincing, I had finally dipped my foot in the water. It’s as if there were microscopic fish that tickled your feet. As a very ticklish person, it was about as equivalent as torture. Okay, maybe not that bad, considering that my feet were about as soft as a baby’s bottom afterwards. The next morning, we had left for Prague on a bus that was accompanied by a mentally ill passenger, who was consistently prodding at our presence. Nevertheless, after dragging our baggage uphill, we had made it to the next Airbnb. Once we had settled our things, it was lunchtime. As a person who enjoys being submerged in a cultural experience- I had decided to eat the country’s popular food: Czech goulash. All was good until I had noticed a rather round piece of what looked like fat. I kept poking at it until it had rolled when I had noticed a clear iris and pupil. Yep, there was an eyeball in my Goulash.  Fast forward four Chimney Cakes, a rip off at a restaurant, and an amazing view of the red roofs later, I was finally home in Bonn after 2 weeks. Bonn was my home away from home and I knew that it was time for my frail old sick body to finally rest.






No comments: