Monday, July 09, 2018

Sláinte to Ireland! Week 2.


I cannot believe week 2 is already in the books. The trip to Cologne on Tuesday was so much fun. The cathedral was absolutely breathtaking, and it was such a crazy experience to have stood in front of a structure that took almost 600 years to build. This past weekend a group of us went to Dublin. When we arrived on Friday evening we went to the coolest pub, and while we were there we learned the word for “cheers” in Gaelic. It is “Sláinte,” which means “to health” in Gaelic. On Saturday we walked around Dublin, saw the Trinity College, and took a tour of the Guinness factory. I must say that Ireland is by far one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. On Sunday we took a day trip to Howth right outside of Dublin and hiked the Howth Head Summit. The views from the cliff were stunning. It would be wrong to say that I didn’t tear up a little when we reached the top. Standing on the edge of a cliff looking out at the cool blue waters of the Irish Sea with the green Irish countryside behind me is something I will never forget. While we were there we ate a traditional Irish breakfast, had some excellent fish and chips, and ate soft serve ice cream in the harbor. On Sunday evening we were wandering around Dublin and we stumbled upon a crowded little pub with live music. They were playing all of our favorite songs and there have been few times in my life where I have been as happy as I was in that moment. Singing and dancing along to my favorite songs surrounded by amazing friends, and even strangers who felt like friends, is a memory I will cherish forever. I am sad that 2 weeks have already come and gone, but I am so excited to see what the next 4 have in store!










No comments: