Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Flavor of the week: Honey // Week 6

Monday 

The day we had our last formal lecture in the classroom given by Dr. Wasser. The day Lauren lost her SIM card in the middle of Bonn and Savana literally found it on the ground while we were retracing our steps (Lauren, I know you said not to talk about it, but you never said I couldn't blog about it). The day I tried Ethiopian food for the first time. 


Ethiopian food from a restaurant in Bonn, Germany 

Tuesday 

The day that I said "see you later" to Bonn, my home away from home for the past 5 weeks. :(

Last pic in Bonn, Germany

Wednesday 

A day full of traveling. We got into Berlin at about 4:30 in the afternoon (16:30) and headed straight to the bus for a tour of the city. Berlin is absolutely stunning, but so many of the stories surrounding its history really pull at the heart strings. My only regret was that I didn't get to explore more of this city, but I will for sure be back one day. 

Thursday 

This day was quite possibly my favorite day of the entire program. It was called "My Berlin Day", meaning we were split up into multiple groups and assigned to a specific guide for the day. From our guides, we learned about their interests/special qualities and acquired knowledge about their special topic that you just cannot receive in a normal classroom setting. For my "My Berlin Day", I got to follow around Silke Meyer, a local artist and certified bee keeper. Silke taught us all about bees and helped us gain a much better appreciation for them and all other insects (plus, we got to try honey straight from the honeycomb and that was just about the best thing I've ever tasted). If we learn to live in harmony with the world around us, we can all mutually benefit from each other. It was so exciting and fun to be able to give a presentation to all of our peers at the end of the day on everything we experienced. Each group had so many different experiences to bring to the table, but I think it's safe to say we could all agree that this day was worthwhile. 

Pure honey ft. Henning the Bee
Silke Meyer teaching us about the bees 


The first time I've ever held bees (very exciting)


The Bee Gang 


Friday 

The end of my first (but definitely not my last) journey through Europe. The day I said goodbye to Berlin. The day I said "see ya later" to the lifelong best friends that I had made over the past 6 weeks. 


Savana & I on the last night
No caption necessary...
Savana, Jessika, Lauren & I at our last group dinner
One last pic at breakfast before we all parted ways 





No comments: