Wednesday, July 04, 2018

QUIZ: Which HoM Member Are You? (Week 2)


The second week in Europe has definitely brought me out of my comfort zone more so than week one. This is because I now have choices. Similarly to the different options in this quiz, I have more freedom to navigate my environment abroad now that the "newness" of Bonn has worn off. Don't get me wrong, there are still hundreds of unexplored adventures in Bonn, yet I have the choice to partake in the new or fall back onto the comfort of familiarity. Also I am conflicted on whither I should focus more on the STUDY or the ABROAD aspect while on this program. I do not think either is necessarily bad, rather something to observe about oneself.

Speaking of observations, this week I was able to meet my host family's Opa and Oma. They actually reminded me of my Great Aunt and Uncle from back home. We shared a beer(prost!) then talked about politics and daily life in rural Germany in the 1950's. It was intriguing to hear their stories and relate it back to the German National Museum of Contemporary History.

On Wednesday the HoM program went to Cologne! What an amazing city. There is such rich history and impressive architecture. The elaborate cathedral makes me reflect on how individuals dedicate their life's work to help build the cathedral, knowing upfront that they will die before it is completed. That blows my mind and reminds me that a possible purpose of life is to sacrifice it for the betterment of society. Oblivious not the only purpose, but something that stuck out in Cologne. Also in Cologne, our program went to the Zoo. Although I am not particularly interested in Zoology, I did enjoy our tour, especially the raccoons!

Additionally, Mikayla and I traveled together to Barcelona on the weekend. This city itself is one of the most remarkable places I've ever traveled to, but getting there was chaotic. We missed the train we paid for, bought new additional tickets($$$) to properly be on the next train. Then we got off on the wrong stop, had to sprint to catch the next train. Different trains were delayed causing us to get the the Dusseldorf airport with only an hour before out international flight. Also I was sent to the back of the security line because I had too many liquids(curse you 3 step acne treatment). However, once Mikayla and I made it to Barcelona, we were greeted with smiles, an incredible host, savory tapas, and the best sangria imaginable. This situation was immensely stressful, but without a doubt a learning experience. Boon worthy IMO.


No comments: