Monday, July 02, 2018

I promise, this is my last apple strudel - Week 5

This past week was our excursion to Vienna, Austria. It began with a daunting 8-hour train ride. And I had thought the 5 hour train ride to Norderney was brutal. Thankfully I was able to sleep for a good half of it, primarily because I was seated in the four-seat arrangement that had a table that stood in for a decent pillow. It was quite amusing to wake up every now and then and see new passengers sitting across from us, clearly judging at least a little. Arriving in Vienna was a little disorientating, we were hurried onto the underground, I was still a little sleepy, so my first impression of Vienna wasn't exactly dazzling. Not bad, just not what I had expected. After settling into our hotel (I had my own bed, I wasn't going to complain) we went to meet for our tour around Vienna. We were greeted, to my surprise and also "Am I though?", Dr. Schnobel (?) aka. Dr Wasser,  in a very impressive plague doctor outfit. Honestly I think the shock of that, and childish delight of seeing something that cool, kind of fogged over the rest of the tour, and I was more pre-occupied with getting my next plague medicine (shout out to those peach gummies though) then remembering too much from the actual tour. I just loved the commitment! Later that evening we went to the goulash restaurant, and, it wasn't what was I was expecting, but I really didn't mind. It was delicious! I tried a chicken one, with a rich warm red tomato broth, potatoes, peppers, and onions. And a nice dollop of sour cream on top. I also of course HAD to try the chocolate goulash. Once, again, not what I was expecting, once again, didn't really mind. It was dense squares of something similar to pound cake, drenched in a warm chocolate sauce, and whipped cream. Can't argue with that.
The next day we started with the anatomical wax museum. This. Was. Amazing. Anyone wanting to pursue any kind of medical career should be utterly impressed by this collection. I wish I could have taken pictures, because the detail, the intricacy of how they displayed the human body....it was like nothing you could get from just reading pictures in a textbook. I could have stayed in there for hours just wondering around. Incredible, incredible place. I was astounded to hear how old it was. Afterwards we had some free time, and so we went to a famous cafe for hot chocolate, and my first of many apple studels. MANY. What can I say, they're just the kind of dessert that comforts your soul. Same with hot coco. That rich, pure chocolate hot coco. Puts my watery swiss miss to shame. That evening was the string quartet performance of Beethoven and Mozart. I am not a classical music person per say, but sitting in that beautiful church, listening to beautiful music, was very serene. I quite enjoyed just sitting and listening. The blister I got from my heels sucked, but, oh well, I should have seen that coming.
The next morning was another incredible medical experience (without pictures), the Fools Tower. A former psychiatry turned into a museum for physical ailments from syphilis to conjoined twins. Another place I could have just spent hours in. Truly an amazing documentation of medical history. Our tour guide was amazing, and asked us questions as we went. I could only imagine how amazing it would be to have these specimens at your disposal for learning. After this, a group of us went to a very nice cafe. Elegant chandeliers and paintings included. I got a wonderful fruit tea, and an unbelievable sponge cake with vanilla cream, strawberries, and marzipan. If you can't tell by now, I really enjoy food. Food makes the experience for me. I will not forget that cake. After this, we went to Natural Museum of History, which is truly designed for geeks like me. A Wildlife and Fisheries major. I actually stayed an hour after the tour was over just so I could fully see all the exhibits. It was wonderful for me to see in person what I had learned about in class the previous year, and their collection was truly remarkable. We ended the day with a delicious dinner of Viennese schnitzel. 
The next day I headed back to Bonn (after an amazing tour of Sigmund Freud's house and a buffet lunch). I am slightly ashamed I watched Netflix for 8 hours straight on that trip back.
It took me some time to grow to enjoy Vienna. Unlike Amsterdam, I didn't fall in love just by walking around the city. Vienna for me was definitely more experienced based. Most of these experiences were educational or food based. Both some of the most memorable I have had. I am so glad I had the opportunity to experience Vienna, a place I may not have originally picked myself.
 Image may contain: food
Image may contain: Amanda Stuart, smiling
Image may contain: food and indoor
Image may contain: food and indoor
Image may contain: Amanda Stuart, smiling, sky, cloud and outdoor

No comments: