Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Roma Without a Phona - Week 5

As one of our last weeks in Europe, the idea of going home to the US is getting too real. The cities we have visited and the sights we have seen have never disappointed. This weekend was especially amazing and we started off the week by visiting the beautiful city of Vienna. I will never forget being lead around the city by a very famous plague doctor, receiving many interesting looks from strangers, and consuming mysterious medications. The tour truly allowed us to envision what the city was like in the times of the plague and appreciate the deep history. Then, to add on to that experience, the museums we visited were some of the most interesting I have ever been to. The Josephinum wax models were so realistic that I was shocked at both the artistic ability and medical history. It was unlike anything I had imagined when I thought of a wax museum. Next was the Narrenturm, which was especially interesting because the tour was led by a medical student who understood everything we would enjoy to learn about. She also really did a great job of describing what treatment was like. Then a quick visit to the Freud museum really allowed us to get a feeling of who Freud was before we learned about his philosophy more in depth. The Natural History Museum was such a beautiful building that it could have been a sight on its own and it held so many artifacts that it was almost overwhelming. Overall, Vienna was a place that exceeded expectations and taught me so much about what it was like to practice medicine before my time. 
The trip of this weekend was to the extraordinary city of Rome. From the title of my post, you can probably guess that I was in the most beautiful city without a phone. While it was so frustrating not to be able to take pictures of everything in sight and share it with my family and friends at home, it probably was for the best. It allowed me to spend more time looking at what was right in front of me as opposed to viewing it through my iPhone screen. It also gave me the opportunity to make a complete fool of myself by wandering around and taking pictures of everything with a tiny GoPro. The first site we visited in Rome was the Vittoriano and it completely spoiled us because it allowed us to have the most beautiful view of the entire city. Next was the Vatican, which was so breathtaking that I could have spent hours in St. Peters Basilica and still I wouldn’t have seen every detail. We also of course had to make a stop at the Trevi Fountain and throw in a coin to make a wish just like Lizzie Mcguire did in the iconic Disney movie. Then we casually attended a Catholic mass in the Pantheon. How many people can say that? The best part is that it was by complete accident, we only wanted a picture but left with so much more! I even went the entire time with my legs wrapped in a 10 euro scarf I had to purchase because shorts were not allowed. One of my favorite views was the Colosseum, however the one thing that trumped everything else was not a view. It was the food. The amount of pasta, pizza, and gelato that we consumed would never be enough. I would love to visit Italy again just for that one specific reason, except I would prefer to go sometime other than July where there was a constant sweat stain on everyone’s backs. So in retrospect, I survived Roma without a Phona, it will be interesting to see if I can survive Berlin in the same conditions. 
            Please enjoy these pictures brought to you via GoPro,



No comments: