Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Sky High in Switzerland - Week 4

Week 4 was undeniably one for the books and filled with many things that will not be forgotten. The week was off to a very quick start when we began with shadowing surgeries at the hospital here in Bonn. I was lucky enough to be paired with an ENT for the day, which is something that I have never had the opportunity to see. I saw two separate surgeries; a tracheotomy and also a tumor resection. The tracheotomy was especially interesting because it was performed on a very critical patient, so I was able to observe many doctors working together to ensure the patient’s safety. I especially enjoyed watching how the anesthesiologist handled the changes in various critical levels in the patient. The second surgery was the tumor resection that was located on the trachea. In this surgery I was able to see a surgical student perform it, and see how the surgeon taught and guided her novice through. Another subject I found interesting was speaking to the anesthesiologist about how the medical schools differ in Germany as compared to the US and about the placement exam that must be taken before being accepting into medical school.
The next great adventure of the week was the amazing Cologne Cathedral. The history of the Cathedral amazed me and the time and work put in over many years to complete it truly allows you to appreciate the beauty. The guided tour was very interesting and proved how intricate the original design of the church was. 
The most surprising part of this weekend was the spontaneous trip to Switzerland and an adventure that I had never considered before. Waking up on the train in the morning in Interlaken truly made my jaw drop. The beautiful color of the water in the lakes cannot be described or recreated in a picture and the surrounding mountains truly create a scene that takes your breath away. However, the adventure that made me fall in love with Interlaken was our paragliding trip. Nothing beats the adrenaline of running off of the side of the mountain, but then peacefully gliding over the most blue water. I will also never forget my guide asking me “Do you like roller coasters?,” and then after my definite yes proceeding to spin the parachute upside down for one of the most fun experiences I have ever had. Interlaken truly has my heart and Switzerland is a place that I must return to at some point in my life. 

No comments: