Sunday, July 08, 2018

Week 6: Tschüss

I can‘t believe that the trip is over and I am at the airport waiting to go back to the US! This trip was better than I had imagined. It was very difficult for me to say goodbye to my host family before heading to Berlin. Our last dinner together was very special with lots of food!


On Wedensday we went to Berlin. I am still not sure how we all made it with our luggage on the train. Once we made it to Berlin we went on a bus tour around the city. We saw Check Point Charlie, the Berlin Wall, and so many other historical sites. The Berlin Wall was a lot shorter than I thought it would be, and there was a lot more art on it than I expected.


The next day in Berlin we had “My Berlin Day.” My group had the opportunity to follow a Berliner around studying Nazi architecture. He showed us were/what Hitler plan to build if he had won. It was a very unique experience especially since we got to physically stand in some of the areas that the aritecture would have been. He also showed us some other World War II memorials.


On our last we visited the Charité Museum and Sachsenhausen. The Charité Museum has so many interesting medical preparations, and our tour guide Tiny Tom did an amazing job explaining everything. I am so glad that we had the opportunity to visit Sachsenhausen. It was very unsettling walking around the concentration camp. The stories our tour guide told us were so horrible that I wished they were not true.


I am so sad that the trip is over, but I am also so greatful that I had the chance to come on this journey. 


No comments: