Monday, July 02, 2018

Nordern-ice cream & Naked Germans

The third week of the trip was marked by a trip to Norderney, an island off the coast of Germany in the Northern Sea. Going into this excursion I wasn't quite sure what to expect besides two things: a baudehause full of naked Germans and a hike through some mud. Not going to lie, I was pretty excited for the baudehause, despite the naked old German people thing, because I really appreciate a good spa. It did not disappoint. Floating in the pools, sitting in the steam rooms, breaking a sweat in the saunas, and rubbing each other in mud really made me leave feeling rejuvenated and reborn. I'm going to need to US to take a step back and return to natural medicine a little bit so I can get a prescription to go to the spa more often. I think it would do wonders for the wellbeing of our country.

Surprisingly, though I love a good spa, this wasn't my favorite part of the excursion. That honor belongs to the ice cream. I have never had ice cream that good in my life, and I've tried a lot of ice cream. Thanks to the long bike rides, I justified going every single day we were there. And there are no regrets. The almond flavor, the sandon flavor, the strawberries on top, the cookie crumbles..... wow. This ice cream house has to be the best well kept secret of the North Sea, and if I ever get the opportunity to come back to Europe, Norderney will definitely be on the itinerary just for this ice cream.

The next highlight of Norderney was the group barbecue dinner. Everyone really came together as a family and the friendships we've made on this trip really felt like home as we all sat around the grill and ate, enjoying each others company. Plus the food was delicious. The after dinner jam session is a memory that will top my list of overall favorite moments.... if you know, you know. Dr. Wasser's secret is safe with me.

There's also something to be said about the pure peace one feels while wandering around on a bike with their friends, it really took me back to my childhood summers. I think the friendships and relationships that have formed really strengthened on this excursion. Being able to all be in the same location and spending so much time together was almost like summer camp. I've always been an island girl and Norderney now holds a piece of my heart in the North Sea. 

No comments: