Monday, July 02, 2018

Eastern Europe Extravaganza


This week we spent time in Vienna, as an excursion with our program. This excursion, from the history of medicine standpoint was my favorite so far. We got to go to the Josephinum, a museum with a large collection of anatomical wax models. It was a truly amazing collection that they had, showing various body systems, and pathophysiology. The obstetrics room was really cool to see and learn about, and definitely a deterrent from childbirth in the near future. (ouch) My favorite thing we saw during out time in Vienna was the Fools Tower. The exhibit they had was just fascinating, with skeletons, wax molds, and preserved organs showing different pathophysiology. Our tour guide was great, a young, very knowledgeable medical student from Vienna. It was an amazing opportunity because this tour was something that without the program, I would have never been able to experience. I hope for the sake of my family they are prepared because if we go back to Vienna, I will be sure to insist on us going back to the Fools Tower!! We got to see a beautiful classical music concert, in a church one of the nights we were there. It was a string quartet that played a mixture of Mozart and Beethoven, they were extremely talented.  
We had a three-day weekend, better described as an Eastern European adventure.  This was my first time in what I would consider to be Eastern Europe, and I didn’t really know what to expect, or how different it would be from what I know of Europe. Surprisingly, there were very much the same, I would say however that it was a little less touristy that western Europe and wayyyyyyy cheaper. We started off in Budapest, which was amazing. It was an absolutely beautiful city. We spent the first day seeing the top sites, the architecture there was just stunning. We spent the afternoon at the Szechenyi Baths, which Budapest is famous for. It was beautiful, but had nothing on the Bath House we visited in Norderney.  We didn’t get to spend a ton of time there, so I am excited to visit it again at some point in my life! We then took off to Poland, where we stayed in Krakow. It was an awesome city, with a lot of culture. It was fun spending the day walking around, and enjoying the city.
On Sunday, we went to visit Auschwitz, which was a very sobering experience. You learn about World War II, and the horrors committed against mankind throughout your education growing up. Going to Auschwitz though, seeing where it happened, and learning about what took place there was a completely different experience. It really makes you realize that this was not something that happened hundreds of years ago, this happened in recent history and there are people alive who lived through it. I think the most surprising thing about my visit there was the proximity to the city. In my mind, I always assumed that the concentration camps were in such isolated places, far away from people, out of sight, but they are so close to communities’ and families’ houses. People live a five-minute drive from Auschwitz, and to me that is just something that I never realized, or understood. Auschwitz is a place that I personally feel everyone needs visit and experience at least once in tier life. As it truly puts the genocide and persecution of the Nazis into perspective.

“Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it”- George Santayana

No comments: