Sunday, May 28, 2023

Week One in Bonn!!

My first week in Germany was excellent! 

First of all, the first week of class has been great. It is incredible to learn how far we have come in medicine. One of the most interesting things we have learned in class has been how people used to strongly believe in the word of Galen. It is crazy how he used to be such a strong influence. When Dr. Wasser explained how people would be looking at proof he was wrong they would refuse to believe Galen was incorrect. Another one of my favorite things we have learned in class was how different the Hippocratic Oath used to be (like having to take the oath to Greek gods). I have only learned very few things about the history of medicine in the past in high school, but going such in-depth has been enlightening and I am amazed at how we used to experiment with medicine.

Germany overall has been a great experience so far. I loved visiting the Rhine River, the Biergarten, and the shops in the market square. I have also loved hanging out with my host mom and trying different German foods. One thing I need to still figure out is the public transportation system. I hope by the end of the trip I will be easily able to navigate the city with public transportation, but who knows what will happen.

Lastly, I have been able to go to Bruges, Belgium which was so fun. Hannah and I did a chocolate-making class which was just a great experience in Bruges as Belgium is very well known for its chocolate. The city of Bruges had such amazing architecture and I just thought the city was very beautiful.

I can't wait to go to opera, see Cologne, and go to Norderney this week!!





No comments: