Sunday, May 28, 2023

Week 1 Recap

 Today is Sunday, May 28th and we have just completed our first week here in Bonn, Germany! I am already having such an amazing time and loving this country. 

    This week we started off with orientation and I started to get to know the other girls in the program and also get to know the city. My host mom took me on the train for my first day of school, but I still struggled a bit to find my way back. Finally, with the help of Google Maps, I have been able to master taking the train to and from school. It has been challenging navigating a new place where I don't speak the language, but I am gaining confidence in myself and learning lots of new things. Now, I am a lot more comfortable taking public transportation and other things like going to the store and ordering at restaurants.

    Living with my host family has been such a great experience even though I have only been here a week! They make me feel so welcome and they make such amazing food. So far we have had pasta with shrimp and asparagus, Gulasch with pomme frites, bratwurst with veggies, Mediterranean pitas with falafel, and more. I also was very excited to have dinner with my host parents and their kids who live in other areas of Bonn, where I really got to feel like a part of the family. We even planned to go hiking to the "Dragon Slayer" Castle called Drachenfels over the weekend. 

    Some of this week's highlights have been getting drinks at Pendel, hiking to Drachenfels with my host family, and hiking at Lowenburg with the other girls on my trip. I am already having so much fun on this trip and I'm looking forward to what we have planned in the future, especially going to Norderney next week!



No comments: