Sunday, May 28, 2023

First week in Germany

 Hallo!

So much has happened in just one week. My previous blog feels like ages ago. The plane ride and bus to Bonn was all a little tiring, but we arrived in Bonn with beautiful weather! Everyone said it was the best weather all year, so I guess we brought the Texas sun with us. Meeting my host family was definitely a bit intimidating at first, and I felt a little out of place, but we are slowly getting to know each other more and are having some great conversations. We always discuss interesting topics about the current and past history of Germany and the world and it is very interesting. One of the most interesting things I’ve learned since being here is the history of western and eastern Germany. I knew that both sides were only reunited recently, but after going to the history museum and after talking with Eva, my host mom, I really understood that there is still a divide between the two areas just because of how the communist ruling affected the people, and I feel like it parallels some aspects of history in the Unites States as well.

Aside from that, living in Germany has definitely been more difficult than I thought. I thought with a few phrases, I would be ok to order things and get around, but it is much hard than I thought to just be thrown into a new country that speaks a different language because it’s so much harder to read and understand basic signs or phrases. However, even though the learning curve is big, I am pushing through it!

I’m looking forward to next week and to getting ready for Nordeny! 

Tchüss!

No comments: