Sunday, June 30, 2019

Venturing in Vienna

     Vienna was the perfect city for our program to visit because of its rich medical history. Dr. Schnabel gave us a ~warm~ welcome and a walking tour of the important health-related landmarks. The university’s lecture hall was beautiful, as was the Austrian National Library we visited in our free time. It looked straight out of Beauty and the Beast! Seeing the crypt/catacombs was unlike anything I’ve ever done- slightly eerie but amazing to see how people are memorialized. My favorite museum was by far the Narrenturm. The authentic wax figurines and preserved tissues were so intriguing! I especially liked the tuberculosis-affected lungs and skeletons of Siamese twins. I could’ve spent hours looking at everything on display there! I’ve always wanted to go to a classical music concert, so this trip gave the perfect opportunity for it. I enjoyed it even more than I was expecting to, and the view inside the church made it that much better. Viennese foods: Käsekrainer (thanks for the recommendation Alexa), goulash omg, sachertorte, schnitzel falafel wrap and baklava from the Naschmarkt, and my first time trying Pakistani-Indian food. It was all delicious! 
     It’s hard (and very sad) to think this was our last free travel weekend. :,( It was well spent in Prague, though! I had no preconceived ideas of the city, which I think made for the best experience. I was blown away by the architecture, landscapes, and overall feel of the place. We saw Old Town Square, Charles Bridge, Prague Castle, St. George’s Basilica, and the Astronomical Clock. Hiking to the castle gave us an unbeatable view of the entire city- absolutely amazing! We tried the famous Trdelník (chimney cake), and it was one of the yummiest desserts I’ve tried in Europe. We couldn’t have picked a better destination than Prague for our last independent travel weekend. This trip has continued to amaze me, and while I’m excited to visit Berlin, I know it marks the end of our journey. Yet, I can truly say I’m content with the memories I’ve made and the sights I’ve seen. 






No comments: