Friday, June 07, 2019

Amsterdam & All

     This past weekend I travelled to Amsterdam with a group of friends I made through this study abroad program. For most of us, it was our first time planning a trip independently, and luckily everything (except a minor train cancellation) went smoothly. We spent the first day exploring the city, eating at a cafe overlooking a canal, and visiting the floating flower market. Even though we walked about 14 miles that day, we got to see the city up close by walking rather than taking a bus around. I tried a new food there, bitterballen, which is a fried ball of cheese, meat, or vegetables. It was delicious! It seemed like typical American bar food to me- maybe that’s why I liked it so much! The next day we tried to buy tickets for the Anne Frank House, but it was sold out. This was one of the attractions I was most looking forward to, but we instead went to the A’DAM Lookout where you can see the entire city from a rooftop. It was amazing and the only place you can find a view like that! We ventured to the Van Gogh Museum next which was the most memorable part of the weekend. I enjoyed perusing through the exhibit and learning of the artist’s background and upbringing. Afterward, we went to a local market that sold stroopwaffles- unlike any dessert I’ve tried! So good!! Overall, Amsterdam was the perfect destination for a weekend travel. 
 
     Our class excursion to Köln was my favorite yet! The city tour was a good balance of history and fun facts, like how gargoyles got their name from the gargling sound made when water comes out of their mouths. Visiting Eau de Cologne Cologne was a highlight of the day. I’m usually not into perfume smells, but this was divine. And they gave us each a sample bottle. So sweet! All of the AIB programs in Bonn had a group barbecue that night. It was interesting to meet other people’s host families and talk to the other students about their adventures around town. It seemed like a family reunion and had a very homey feeling. :,) I had a meaningful conversation with my host parents while at the picnic table. They were frustrated with their kids because they’re “too lazy.” The parents’ frustration stems from the adversities they’ve faced in their lives (originally being from Ecuador and having moved to Germany) and yet have succeeded professionally and socially. They wish their children would take advantage of the opportunities they’ve been provided that the parents were deprived of growing up. It was a unique perspective on parenting as well as immigration. I better understand the difficulties immigrants face and appreciate the educational opportunities I’ve been given. I’ve already learned so much from my host family, and they continue to make my stay in Bonn more than comfortable. 

I’m looking forward to a week filled with traveling! Updates soon to come!





No comments: