Thursday, June 13, 2019

Moin, Norderney!

     This past weekend I travelled to Brussels and Brugge, Belgium, and I fell in love with both cities. Our group got to Brussels Friday night, and we went to dinner at a local Italian restaurant. We were trying to decide on a wine to order when the older gentleman at the table next to us chimed in and gave recommendations. After making small talk with him, we learned he is a famous poet! He shared his story of how he used poetry as an escape from his strict father growing up, and we reciprocally shared personal stories. Back at our hostel, we tried to find some of his works online but they were all written in French unfortunately. It was still neat getting to talk to him, and we all felt a little starstruck. The next day we did some sightseeing around Brussels then took a train to Brugge. I absolutely loved the old town feel it had. We had the best time just strolling the streets and taking in the views. It was also home to the oldest monk hospital, and we were able to peek inside. So cool! Belgium had a great array of food and of course we tried it all- from Belgian waffles, beer, chocolate, and frites with mayonnaise- it was all delicious! We stayed busy the entire time, yet I wasn’t as exhausted when I returned to Bonn as I was the weekend before. I guess I’m getting accustomed to lots of traveling!
     I’m currently on the train leaving Norderney and heading to Frankfurt airport to fly straight to Dublin for the long weekend. Norderney was amazing! I’ve never been to a beach in cold weather, but I really enjoyed it. There’s something so soothing about watching the sunset while hearing waves crashing on rocks. And I can now say I’ve done Tai chi on the shore of the North Sea! I was nervous about having to bike everywhere on the island, but it was much easier than I anticipated and I actually ended up liking our bike rides a lot. The bike tour on the last day was one of my favorite parts of the trip, especially in the beautiful weather. I obviously loved our time at the badehaus too. I had been in a sauna before, but I never fully understood the significance of it. Dr. Wasser’s lecture on the benefits of sauna-ing and the science behind it made me appreciate the experience much more. It was nice to have a relaxing day in the midst of our crazy busy schedule- same for the barbecue. It’s so fun getting to spend time with people in a laid back setting, and I truly felt we all grew closer on this excursion. Norderney is a hidden gem, and I’m glad I had the opportunity to travel there. 

Now on to Ireland!









No comments: