Monday, June 24, 2019

Ireland, and Bingen, and Munich, oh my!

     Much has happened since my last blog post. From Ireland, to shadowing, to Bingen, and Munich, there are many updates ahead.
     For the long weekend a group of us traveled to Dublin. While some of my best memories on this entire trip were made in Ireland, it was no easy task getting there. We arrived to the Frankfurt airport from Norderney around midnight then planned to catch a few hours of sleep before our 6 am flight. We got kicked out of the resting area though and ended up "sleeping" in the McDonald's booths. It was a long night but worth the trouble. We kicked off our time in Dublin with a tour of the Guinness Storehouse complete with a tasting on a rooftop bar. That night we all ventured into town and found a pub where they played live Irish folk songs. It was one of the funnest nights I've had in the past few weeks, and I found myself getting comfortable in pub culture. 4 of us took a 2-day tour across Ireland where we got to see some of the country's greatest attractions: extensive bog lands, the iconic Temple Bar, Trinity College, Cong- where The Quiet Man was filmed, Connemara region, Galway- the cultural capital of Ireland, Aran Islands, Bunratty Castle, and, my favorite, the Cliffs of Moher. I tried authentic shepherds pie, potatoes, Irish tea, and stew which were all delicious comfort foods. The Cliffs of Moher were absolutely breathtaking! A truly unbelievable view.


     Having the opportunity to visit the University Hospital in Bonn was a valuable experience. I had never shadowed an anesthesiologist before, and it was interesting to see their work up close. The German operating room seemed to differ from an American one in only one way- the language being spoken by the doctors. I got to watch a removal of oropharyngeal tumors on either side of a gentleman's neck. Similar to previous surgeries I have seen, I was amazed at the ease at which surgeons perform extensive procedures. I got the chance to chat with the anesthesiologist, and many of the issues surrounding healthcare that we struggle with in America seem to be present in Germany as well. Over-prescription of antibiotics leading to resistant strains of bacteria, parents opting out of vaccinations for their children, and social determinants of health playing a significant role in individuals' overall well-being are all parallels with topics of concern in the States. I found this conversation to be enlightening and helpful in gaining insight into Germany's health system.
     The Bingen excursion was a great time, and I enjoyed the museum and Hildegarden tour, especially the exhibit on medical tools used during that time period. I was shocked at how much they resembled modern tools, as I had never considered the fact that the body hasn't changed anatomically so there has been no need for major alterations in surgical instruments. The Rhine boat tour was a perfect addition to the day. It was relaxing and gave beautiful views of riverfront towns.

     This past weekend, Sammi and I traveled to Munich. After two train delays, we considered cancelling our plans altogether, but I'm glad we persevered. On Saturday we visited the Neuschwanstein Castle- a truly magical sight! That evening we went to dinner at the tourist-famous Hofbrauhaus where we munched on a giant pretzel and sipped on a liter of beer. This, along with stumbling upon a local music and dance festival the next day, provided the genuine German experience we were seeking. Sunday we visited Dachau Concentration Camp which was striking and heart-wrenching, yet I felt it was important to acknowledge its existence and history. Touring the site changed my perspective on the country's history and the harsh capabilities of man. We ended the day on a more positive note by sightseeing around Munich, including Marienplatz, English Garden, Olympic Stadium, and St. Peter's Church. I can honestly say we saw the best of what Munich has to offer!

     In a couple of hours I will be leaving for our next group excursion to Vienna. I am particularly looking forward to the string quartet concert and Sigmund Freud house tour. I can't wait!

No comments: