Thursday, June 13, 2019

Having a Good Time

Week 2 is done. Things really are only getting better.

Day 8 (June 3): On this day we went to Koblenz. We took a behind the scenes tour through the theater and it was very interesting. It was super cool to be able to see all the different people who work on a production like carpenters, artists, costume designers and engineers. After the theater, we went to a fort. We took a gondola up to the fort and there was a beautiful view of the city at the top. It was such a beautiful scene, the Rhine joined with another river and flowed into one and the city stretched out on the other side. After this we went down and walked to a massive statue of a man riding a horse. We climbed the statue and watched the view. It was gorgeous. 
 
Maddie and me in front of the giant statue.
Day 9 (June 4): Today was a day full of class. I ate Indian food from a food truck and it was really good. I was missing some spice in my life lol. Then I got a pistachio gelato and was content.

I love gelato.
We had first German class with Hilde Koch. She is wonderful, and I really enjoyed learning the basics with her. She made sure to have conversations with us and forced us to try and use German. After class, Maddie and I went home and since it was such a nice day we sat outside in Carmen’s garden and relaxed. 
Carmen's garden>>>>>
Day 10 (June 5): We had class in the morning today and then set off for Cologne. Right as we exited the Cologne Hbf, we saw the Cologne Cathedral. It stretched up to the sky, its massive presence making it hard to miss. We walked to a brewery for lunch and it was pretty good authentic German food. One group ordered a massive plate of meats and it was impressive in its own right. After lunch, we walked by the cathedral and then were taken on a guided tour around town. The tour guide was a funny, interesting lady who was very knowledgeable on the town. One of my favorite things was seeing the preserved Bacchus-themed tile floor from a very old roman villa. The tour guide told us it was stumbled upon while digging for construction. It is crazy to me how the Germany now was built upon the ruins of roman civilization. We saw some more cool stuff on the tour and then headed back to Bonn. Once in Bonn, we went to the Welcome BBQ that the AIB threw for all the study abroad programs. This was a lot of fun. There was live music, good food, and great company.

Day 11 (June 6): This was another day full of class. We took a walk down to the Rhine in the evening and it was beautiful.
The sunset over the Rhine.
Day 12 (June 7): Today we had class in the morning and learned about Sauna. Then we had our predeparture meeting for Norderney. Hearing all the activities planned for us on the island made me super excited for the excursion. After class we ran to catch a tram back to our house, so we could quickly pack and then catch our bus to Brussels. While trying to get on the tram, for some reason none of the doors I tried to open were opening. I saw Maddie find an open door and get on the tram, so I ran over to that entrance. Right as I made it over there, the doors slid shut. I was on the platform and Maddie was on the tram. Watching her leave while I was stuck there was like a movie. We were separated, and I had to figure out when the next tram was coming so I could head home quickly. Luckily one was arriving 10 minutes later, so I hopped on that one and ran home once I got off the stop. I threw clothes in my suitcase and then came down to eat lunch. Carmen had made us turkey schnitzel and it was so good. There were potatoes too and a soup. Everything was delicious. Maddie and I had 7 minutes to catch our tram to the bus stop, so we started hurrying to go, but then Carmen told us she had strawberries. So naturally, we stayed and quickly stuffed them in our mouths and then ran out the door to the tram. We made it just in time and caught our bus. Finally, we were on the way to Brussels! The bus ride was around 4 hours and I slept for most of it. After making it to Brussels, we walked to our hostel which was literally right outside the Grand Place. 
The Grand Place has beautiful golden buildings.
We found a nice restaurant and walked over there. While we were there, I was sat next to an older man at the table next to us who helped me interpret the menu since it was in German. When our waiter arrived, he told us the man I was talking to was a famous Belgian poet. His name was William Cliff and I talked to him about how he got interested in poetry and about what kind of poetry he wrote. It was really cool being able to talk to him and it was so random. All his poetry is in French but maybe one day I’ll find a translated version and read some of it. After dinner, we were walking around town and saw a club advertising a drag queen show. Of course, we had to go in and see what it was about. It was so much fun and watching “Ivana” lip sync and tell jokes was a 10/10 experience. 

Day 13 (June 8): Today we started our day by eating the most delicious waffles for breakfast. I got strawberries and melted chocolate on mine and it was so good. It felt like it melted in my mouth. Literal heaven. 
One of the best things I've ever had.
Then we walked and saw the Manneken Pis which is a small, but famous statue of a boy peeing. He was dressed up for the running of the bulls festival. 

The Manneken Pis.
Then we took a train to Bruges. Bruges was such a cute little town. There were canals that ran through it and it was so picturesque. We walked around Bruges for the day, just admiring the town. We also stumbled upon one of the oldest hospitals which was very cool.Then we headed back home. We went to a good Italian restaurant and then went to a bar. We chilled for the rest of the evening and enjoyed ourselves. We went to a techno club for a little while, but it was such a strange place that we left pretty soon after we went. I ate another waffle and was content.

Bruges is such a pretty little town.
Day 14 (June 9): Today we walked around Brussels some more and saw where the tour de France starts which was pretty cool. Then we saw the royal palace and walked around a nice park. I bought some Belgian chocolates and they were so good. After this we ate at a fish and chips place and headed for the bus home. We got home with enough time to eat dinner with Wolfram and Carmen and relax before our trip to Norderney in the morning. 

Okay, that is about it for Week 2. It was a lot of fun and I am super excited to go to Norderney this upcoming week. Belgium was a cool place to visit and I really enjoyed the waffles, chocolates, and fries. 



No comments: