Sunday, June 30, 2019

Wein(er)

Weekend: Things were wild. Our group had spent Friday night over at a Shane’s house in Bad Godesberg (a place I had never been prior). The house was about a 25 minute from the nearest train stop. When I woke up Saturday morning, I walked a friend from the house to the train station with the intention of returning. Shortly after walking out, I noticed I did not have my phone. I didn’t want to go back and grab it, as I didn’t want this friend to think I’m the kind of idiot that forgets things, so we walked on to the station. Backfired. After she left, I began my walk back. Quickly I realized I did not know my way back. I made my way back to the train stop, as I knew my friends would need to go there at some point. I waited about an hour and a half, and concluded that they were waiting for me at the house, so I started running in an attempt to find the house. After an unfruitful half marathon, I stopped into a candle shop, and asked to use their phone. Luckily, I had my AIB card, and was able to find Connor’s number this way. When I called and asked where they were, they replied with “we are on our way to Amsterdam and we have all your stuff.” Great. We worked out a deal, and Shane waited for me in Dusseldorf. A couple of hours later, I met up with him and we went on to Amsterdam. We did some crazy sight seeing, walked a lot, and had so much fun. Overall, a fantastic weekend! 



Monday: Lectures on this day were very engaging. Neuroscience and the Nuremberg Trials were two things that I am very interested in. We then had our Vienna pre-departure meeting, collected some cash, then had the afternoon. A large group of us ventured out the the Birkenstock outlet and had a fun time. I then got to spend some quality time with the host fam, and have a nice long run by the Rhine.


Tuesday: The alarm was set early. Connor and I were in a taxi by 04:00, and our venture to Vienna had begun. I didn’t get frisked in airport, but that’s ok. Once we arrived, we were met by Dr. Schnobel, the beaked out Plague doctor. To back track, Shane and I knew this was going to happen, as there are pictures on the AIB’s website. Alexa made a deal with us: if we didn’t spoil the surprise for anyone, she would buy us each a beer. We didn’t tell. She has yet to come through, but I trust her as a woman of her word. After our tour of the city, we went to dinner as a full program. I ate horse. Her name was “Black Beauty”, and she slapped. We then went to sleep early.

Wednesday: We woke up early, and walked through the Pharmacology museum. Super cool. My favorite portion of this was their collection of vintage cameras. We then found a street food market, had some lunch, and then took a much needed nap. At night, we went out to the amusement park, which was apparently the oldest in the world. I rode some rides, and got a very tasteful butterfly tatted on my neck.

Thursday: Waking up early, we toured the Narrenturm. Despite the crazy high temps, I had a good time. We then toured the Sigmund Freud museum. This was super interesting to me, as I learned fairly extensively of his life in my psychology courses. We then ate Pakistani food which was great, and prepared to go out to a classical concert. In Freudian spirit, the boys dressed up and smoked some cigars prior to leaving. The concert was incredible, as I love string instruments and the setting was beautiful. A large group then went out on the town, and had a great time.



Friday: We began by touring the House of Music. Classical music is engrained in everything Vienna, and this tour was fantastic. In fact, I was so intrigued that I am listening to Mozart as I am writing this post. We then had a massive Wiener schnitzel for lunch, and met at the Natural History Museum. This was my favorite yet. The variety of exhibits was incredible and so fantastic to be able to observe. We then boarded our train bound for Prague, and that’s where I am now!

No comments: