Friday, June 28, 2019

Climate Change Is Real and I'm Ready To Fight The Sun


Day 25 we visited a museum of anesthesiology, it was run by the sweetest old man, I wish he will never have to shut it down but that day might come soon. It was easily one of the most interesting walks through medical history, showing us the progression of herbs used to subdue people and eventually the anesthesia machines themselves. The tour ended with an iron lung, a surreal experience as these are outdated legends from the polio endemics. 

Dr. Wasser is full of surprises. 
Day 26 brought us to the town of Bingen, named after Hildegard von Bingen who was a famous nun that had God sent visions and got away with sassing popes. We toured through her museum, seeing models of where she lived and how she commanded such a presence. In her mock medical garden (The Hildegarden), we were tasked with finding medicinal plants from her time, it was a very green hide and go seek. The afternoon had us hopping on a 3 hour Rhine cruise, the loudspeaker occasionally spouting off facts about the passing castles and towns. It was somehow too hot in the sun and too cold in the shade, Germany is giving Texas a run for its money on weird weather. We then went to the Marksburg Castle, the best castle in Germany as it has never been conquered or overtaken. It offered sweeping views of the valley and a very small bed that was
somehow meant to allow a man and wife to lay together. I guess they were shorter centuries ago. Although the hike up was more tolerable than Drakenfels, I think I choose the wrong day to wear a dress.

Day 27 was wonderfully restful, I made cookies with my host mom and went shopping in Bonn. The difference in ingredients here made the cookies very flat, although that might be because my host mom gave me baking powder and not baking soda. I also officially have enough souvenirs to take back home, mostly candy. 

Day 28 was very quiet, which was perfect because soon we would be going to Vienna, where Alexa kept warning us it would be nonstop, walking hell. Micheal, Melissa and I picnicked in the park and had way too much ice cream at the little restaurant there. I’m going to miss these quiet nights. 

Day 29 we finished up talking about the Nuremberg Code and how it came to be. The trials of Nuremberg included the prosecution of 1 woman and 22 men, all of whom committed terrible atrocities “in the name of Science” with most of their results being more torture based than based in curing. The Code is not technically a law but most countries (to our knowledge) follow it. It mainly states that all human participation must be voluntarily consenting and that the results must bear useful information. There cannot be an experiment just for the heck of it. 

Day 30 began at 3am and didn’t end until 11pm, I’m pretty sure I hallucinated half the day. A very early flight had us going to Vienna where we met Dr. Schabel, a Black Plague doctor who led us around the city while feeding us questionable cures and preventions of the plague. My favorite was the chocolate Mozart balls. He led us to historical sites of where some of Viennas’ first medical schools were and a massive Gothic cathedral. I’m pretty sure we all slowly roasted alive and wondered how Dr. Schabel didn’t faint underneath all his black robes. After lunch, we were led down into the catacombs where we saw a mummy that was so well preserved, I thought it was going to start talking to us. Our guide told us that the catacombs started to smell so horribly, that the church goers above couldn’t even pray during service. Dinner was at the Goulash Museum, where I went against my moral code and tried horse for the first time. I hated how tender and flavorful it was. Back at the hotel, I had the best sleep since I got here, I will never take AC for granted ever again. 

Day 31 was one of the funnest days of my life. It started perfectly waking up to a cold, air conditioned room after 10 hours of sleep. We had a tour through the pharmacology museum, seeing remains of mummies that people used to consume  (yikes). After we were free to roam as we wished. A bunch of us went to a cat cafe to enjoy the company of some very furry friends, they had some of the best chocolate ice cream I’ve ever eaten. And I’ve eaten a lot of chocolate ice cream. Next was the Austrian National Library that had beautifully painted, arched ceilings and thousands of old manuscripts. Then to the Albertina Art Museum for some Monet and Picasso where we met an ambassador for the US who’s based in Luxembourg. He gave us his card and then invited us to a party there on July 3rd where we could meet Buzz Aldrin, maybe it’s time to break out the puppy dog eyes on Dr. Wasser. After was Naschmarkt where we had authentic Weiner Schnitzel made from veal, it was as good as the horse. Then it was to Prater Park where the plan was to ride the giant ferris wheel. That didn’t happen. Instead we rode a low level swing, a small rollercoaster that had you lay down like you were flying, a very high swing that gave gorgeous views over the whole park, played the claw games that, on the very last try of the night, I grabbed not one, but TWO rainbow lamas, then on an open air ferris wheel that gave more amazing views and finally, 2 rides on a spine whipping machine called Break Down. My dopamine levels are off the charts.

Ferris Wheel! 
Albertina Art Museum (where we met the Luxembourg Ambassador) 


No comments: