Sunday, May 27, 2018

Today is the Day!!!

In just a few short hours I will be boarding the plane to Frankfurt and the excitement I am feeling is so palpable, I am shaking. I've never been to Europe, so honestly I have lots of romanticized ideas of what I think the cultures, people, and countries will be like, but am trying to set those expectations aside to appreciate what ever new things that I experience.

I absolutely love to travel, whether it has been to South America or just some islands here and there, my absolute favorite thing to do is to find a smaller more remote village outside of the big city centers. In my experience this is where you find the "non touristy" authenticity that a country and a culture has to offer. I am excited to try to do the same in Germany and where ever my weekend may take me! Of course there are some anxieties associated with going abroad such as others speaking a different language and the fear of not being able to be understood and thus being very lost, but I have come to accept being lot as part off the journey and it often has lead me to unexpected but really cool places.

I signed up for this study abroad because I not only wanted to see more of the world that we live in but also wanted to gain a greater appreciation for those different than I am. Here in the US the cultures have become so assimilated, so I am excited to experience full German culture in Bonn in a way that isn't so westernized. I am also looking forward to learning through experiences in Germany, whether that be through traditional teaching or through trips and places I visit, I am thrilled I get to grow and learn for the next six weeks.

Bis morgen!

-Arianna

No comments: