Saturday, May 26, 2018

The Emotions Before

Tomorrow is the big day, the day I get to spend over 10 hours on a plane and the day I get to go insane with many emotions before touchdown in Europe. I have always wanted to visit Europe, I am fascinated with the culture, architecture, and rich history. I also love that so many different countries are so close geographically, yet are so different. As I have been preparing for excursions, packing, and researching for this trip there are two competing emotions. These emotions are fear and excitement. 

Fear: There are many things that worry me about studying abroad, because so many factors can go wrong. While I have traveled out of the country, I have never been to Europe or been without a large pack of family members. Will I break or lose my phone? Will something go wrong with my credit card? Will my bag get lost? Will I stand out as an American? Will I get pickpocketed? And of course, will my host family like me? 

Excitement: Countless things about this study abroad experience are exciting. The idea of being able to experience another country, not from the outside, but as a resident is something I have never been exposed to and I think will impact my learning greatly. I also love meeting new people and while I do have great friends to help me try and zip up my jam-packed suitcase, I can’t imagine the kind of friendships that will be made throughout the summer. I’m excited to take in a new amazing view every week and use up all of my phone storage taking pictures of places I never want to forget. One thing that never fails to make me the happiest girl in the world is food, I am so ready to try authentic and new foods that we cannot find anywhere else. 

The reason I chose this trip, is because the excitement immensely outweighs the fear. In fact, the fear is really just anxiety of not being able to plan out all of the variables, but that’s also the beauty of travel. Nothing will probably go as planned and it will create memories that cannot be imitated or replaced. 

See you soon Europe,
                 Lauren Baker

No comments: