Saturday, May 26, 2018

Bonn-Voyage!

So, it is now 9:15 p.m. and I have not yet packed for my six week trip to Germany. My flight tomorrow morning is at 9 a.m. I have clearly reached peak travel procrastination.

As I begin packing, I am starting to really think about my upcoming experiences on this study abroad trip. Three Christmases ago, I visited London and Ireland, and I was infected with the European Travel bug. When I entered Texas A&M, I knew I wanted to study abroad. I immediately began searching for programs in Europe that would be of benefit for a Biomedical Sciences major. I found the Germany History of Medicine program and decided that this would be the program for me. I am very excited for the opportunity to visit German hospitals. Also, having a program that gives me the opportunity to visit Vienna, is exciting because of the inner music nerd in me. I am a bit worried about not having any German language experience, although I am also excited to see how much of the language I can absorb. The free travel weekends are also a major plus to this program. :-)

Leaving the United States for so long has me nervous, but still excited. I am a big homebody, and I know that I will miss my family (especially my two Golden Retrievers). I know that I will keep myself busy enough to hopefully keep the homesickness away. I know that I will miss the comforts of home, like fast food, universal air conditioning, and my American TV shows. I know that the sites and sounds of Europe (and my host family) will surely be enough to keep me entertained.

Me and Lola
Me and Ava



As of right now, I have travel plans to Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Zurich, Bratislava, Ljubljana, Zagreb, and Luxembourg. I am hoping to squeeze a trip to Brussels, too! Gotta try these waffles and chocolate everyone keeps talking about.

As I wrap up this first blog post, everything is becoming real. For months, I've been watching travel vlogs, reading city guides, and looking at pictures of European and German landmarks. I literally cannot believe that these will all be seen my own eyes in these next few weeks.

No comments: