Friday, May 25, 2018

8 Songs You Must Listen to Before Studying Abroad

Studying abroad is simultaneously thrilling and terrifying. Although these next 8 songs are specific to my experience, you may relate to these anxieties and expectations. 

1. “American Idiot”- Green Day


Don’t want to be one, but maybe I am one. I make loud jokes, seem friendly (which may come across as fake), and indulge in food too much. I fit many stereotypes of a typical obnoxious American which many Germans HATE. But hey! There’s much to learn from the seemingly reserved Germans that could be incorporated into my current lifestyle.


2. "Just Around the Riverbend”-Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas)


It seems as if adventure is waiting for me at every corner, and that’s because it is! On this study abroad program, I have the freedom to explore Germany and the rest of Europe. In College Station, it is so easy to just stay in my room and waste the day away on a screen; yet abroad, I do not see myself doing so when there are many exciting places to experience. Ultimately I want to carry over this zeal for life back to the States and explore my own town as if it was foreign to me. Like a common idea in Disney movies: adventure is out there. 

       3. "All The Small Things”-blink-182


There are so many small tasks that need to get done before the trip. Planning ahead is not my strong suit, but completing all of the preparations has been a fun yet stressful challenge. I’m nervous that I haven’t done enough planning because it seems like there is always something new added to the “To-do Before Germany” list. 

1.      4. "Here Comes the Sun”-The Beatles


“It's been a long cold lonely winter,” but, “that ice is slowly melting.” This study abroad experience could not have happened at a better time. I have had the worst year in college thus far. My motivation for school was at an all-time low. The only thing really keeping me going this past semester was knowing that if I just passed my classes, I could still go abroad this summer. I have never been this kind of student before. Hopefully the enjoyable educational experiences abroad, including touring research labs and watching surgeries, will revamp my passion for science that led me to pick my major in the first place. I may not be the kind of student I was before, but I plan to grow past that. The Sun is coming, and man is it warm. 

1.      5. "Supermodel (You better work)”- RuPaul


Unlike College Station or my hometown, there may actually be a fashion scene in Europe. I enjoy putting fun fashion combinations together over wearing a baggie oversize t-shirt and workout shorts. I’m hoping to feel almost liberated (and fierce) while abroad by dressing with more style, specifically when I go to Amsterdam. 

1.      6. "Try”- Colbie Caillat


Honest confession, I have poor body image. I have had this since I was 10. I cannot tell if Europe will emphasize my insecurity or lessen it. Europeans are seemingly more thin compared to their overweight American counterparts. Although this may be a myth, I am nervous I will feel insecure while abroad. Nonetheless, I’m sure I will learn something about how I perceive beauty while abroad.

7.  “Cool for the Summer”-Demi Lovato


I would be lying if I said I hadn’t dreamed about meeting a handsome European man while abroad. I mean hello, accents! Unlike the other songs on this list, I am less concerned about this becoming a reality. But if it does, a point for the hopeless romantics! My mom knows me too well and keeps sending me news articles about woman traveling abroad and get into serious life threatening danger because they were tricked by attractive foreign men. I will be wise and focus more on myself than on any boys while in Germany. But I have to admit this topic has crossed my mind and is worthy of a song on this list. 

8.      “The Great Gig in the Sky”-Pink Floyd


This is probably the most reappearing concern of them all, death. But not just dying, but the idea of dying before I even get to go to Germany. From a car accident to a heart condition, I’ve been so worried about never getting to even travel to Europe, thus living life unfilled. For years I have wanted to go to Europe. Yet no day is promised. I have to get through about 2 more days to make it there, and maybe live at least 3 more to get a bit of a feel for Bonn before dying. This may seem irrational, because it is, but it is also honest. There’s so much I am looking forward to while on this program. It is scary to imagine never getting to experience the adventures on this study abroad program despite spending the past year saving money and preparing for it.  






No comments: