Friday, May 25, 2018

Guten Tag

In two hours I will be driving to Dallas to board a flight to New York City to celebrate my brother graduating from high school. I feel some sadness at only being in the city for 25 short hours, but am anxious and excited about the journey and adventures that wait in Bonn and beyond. 

Naturally, going abroad and experiencing things outside of my norm make me anxious (as much if not more than the average person), but I know that the experiences I have will be teach me not only things about Germany, but about myself. I hade never had any desire to study abroad, but after a few life-changing events in my life, I realized that I had nothing to lose. My main reason for participating in this program over others is the opportunity to continue investigating medicine and the amazing things it does. 

Although a little unrealistic, I hope to be able to construct a conversation in German when the trip concludes in Berlin. Being able to order a meal without Google Translate or speaking to the waiter/waitress in English would be a great achievement, especially considering I have no German language experience whatsoever. I also hope to deepen my desire for the field of medicine.

A quote that I recently read by Mark Twain describes how I hope to live this experience and everyday that follows: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.”

See you soon,

Matthew

No comments: