Wednesday, May 23, 2018

On the way to the airport

      There is only one hour left before I leave to go to the airport to begin my journey to Germany. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. It has been quite an adventure just getting to this moment. Although I have been packing for a little over a week now, I still found myself at Walgreens 20 minutes ago gathering last minute supplies. I have never gone on a trip like this before so I am not sure what to expect. I keep imagining getting off the plane and speaking perfect German. I must mention though that I know very little German. For the next six weeks I will be studying and trying my best to take in the European way of life. 
      I chose this program not only because it allowed me to finish the last six credits I need before I graduate, but because it is giving me the opportunity to experience a new culture. I am hoping that this experience helps me become more independent as well as teaches me new skills about planning trips and budgeting time. After looking over the weekly schedule, I realized that I could not have picked a better program. I am looking forward to going to Norderney and learning how to use the bus/train systems. Living in College Station has taught me how helpful public transportation can be.
     The four days before the program starts I will be staying with my uncle and aunt who have been living in Frankfurt for the past three years. He is currently serving as the Consulate General for the United States. It will be a very unique experience because he knows perfect English and German. Lastly, I cannot wait to get to Germany to see where my mom is from. During the four days before the program, I am going to Heidelberg to see the city she was born in. Only four more days until the program starts!!
     


No comments: