Sunday, May 27, 2018

I've traveled in a plane like once before so I'd say I'm pretty qualified

I'm currently in the airport an hour and a half before my flight leaves, really feeling the jitters setting in. I haven't traveled much, just a week to Guatemala and another to California for mission trips, but nothing like this before... Is traveler's anxiety a real disorder? If not, I just created it. What if I miss my plane? What if something is wrong with the plane? What if I get lost in the Frankfurt airport? What if this entire trip is an elaborate scam to kidnap me in another country? Probably not, but better to be ready for anything, right?

For me, this trip began with an email from the engineering department about the program and its informational meeting. I asked my parents if I could possibly go, expecting them to laugh and say "funny joke" or something to the effect of "it cost too much", and I would go on with my day like nothing ever happened. Yeah... they didn't say no, and then everything happened so quickly: meeting here, meeting there, money flying around, orientations, unread important emails, groupme's with hundreds of messages. It was stressful for sure, but now it's here and I genuinely couldn't be more excited. I became very independent in College Station and this will make me more so. I am ready to see how I can adapt to a new environment, culture, and lifestyle. I hope to pick up on a simple life skill or two, like managing a train schedule, and how to live in a bigger city. And most of all, I hope that this trip is the eye-opening, life-changing experience that I'm wanting it to be.

At this point I'm just spewing words that probably don't make a whole lot of sense, but I think it's understood that I'm ecstatic and very nervous, too. I'm ready to experience what Bonn and all of Germany have in store for me. Plane's about to be boarded, here we come! (Bryan is here, too)

No comments: