Saturday, May 26, 2018

"Study Abroad in Germany this Summer! Informational Meeting Dec. 1"... And so it began

The title to this blog post was the subject line of the email from Dr. Wasser about the Texas A&M Germany History of Medicine study abroad program. Now, six months later, I really am about to study abroad in Germany.
In 21 hours, I will be boarding my flight from Houston, Texas to Frankfurt, Germany. I will be embarking on a great adventure that will expand my horizons, and I am very much looking forward to what this summer will bring. I am looking forward to learning more about medical history. Anyone who knows me well has heard me spout random tidbits about different diseases that I have learned about in my classes. I am looking forward to experiencing German life first hand while living with my host family. I am looking forward to practicing what little German I have managed to learn and to learning more.
Still, I do have a few anxieties. With my gluten and wine allergies, eating out may be difficult, and I may not have as many food options as I might like. But, there is always salad. And potatoes! In fact, my food allergies may have even forced me to be better prepared for the trip since I have learned how to communicate them in German.
What is do know is this: when I exit the plane in Frankfurt on the 28th, I will be taking the first steps of what is sure to be a great adventure. An adventure that would not have happened without an email with an intriguing subject line that I received on November 27th.
It is just really unfortunate, though, that my dog, Pippi, didn't fit in my duffle bag:


No comments: