Thursday, July 06, 2017

Week 4- Bike Induced Anxiety

This past week was full of excursions again! We started with a trip to Hannover. Here, the highlight was seeing the research institute where they are studying axolotls and their regenerative properties. Before this, I had never heard of an axolotl. But, now I would love one as a pet. They look like they are smiling all the time and come in a ton of different patterns and colors.



I’ll be following the research that comes out having to do with utilizing the regenerative properties of axolotls for potential human benefits. 
From Hannover, we kept traveling north to the island of Norderney! I must say it is one of my favorite places we have been on the trip. The water of the North Sea is very cold but the beaches are beautiful! And, at least while we were there, there weren’t a ton of people although we were told that during July the beaches get pretty full. Our mode of transportation while here was a bike…. I now have a love/hate relationship with them. Everything was going fine one morning…. until a giant bee decided to fly into my face and before I knew it I had ridden my bike directly into a traffic sign. It might have been the funniest moment of my life now looking back at it. 


Some people got into the North sea but, I decided it was just a little too cold for me. We did get to introduce Henning to smores one night after the group BBQ thanks to a kind stranger who drove me to another grocery store that had chocolate on the other side of town…. Gotta love making new friends….We also had a bonfire on the beach! 



The spa on the island was amazing! I have never been to a sauna before and I’m glad my first time got to be here. We got to swim in all sorts of pools at different temperatures and salinities as well as do a mud treatment. I was a little apprehensive about the mud treatment but it turned out to be one of my favorite parts. It was nice to have a day to completely relax amid all of the traveling and long days…. I officially don’t ever want to leave Germany!

No comments: