Saturday, July 01, 2017

Goodbye Berlin, Goodbye Germany

No other place we visited truly had the historical aura that Berlin had by any stretch of the imagination. Walking through buildings that were plastered with bullet holes, patchworks of buildings that had been bombe to almost nothing, places so deep in Nazi history one time it felt almost disturbing to be next to them now. I was utterly fascinated with what we saw on our bike tour, in awe by the concentration camp we visited, and was astonished by the Ishtar gate in the Pergamum museum. I saw elements of history I would never have thought I'd see, and was blown away completely by them.

Alas, all things must come to an end, and our program is no exception. I am honored and truly grateful to have the experience that I have had these six weeks. Dr. Wasser, if you read this, I cannot thank you enough for the opportunity and life changing experience you have offered onto us. I wish I was better with words to convey the respect and abundance of good feelings I have for you as a person and the program you conduct, but I can only offer these.

Thank you, Dr. Wasser, for everything.

Goodbye Germany. Goodbye History of Medicine. I'll see you both another time, hopefully in the near future again.

No comments: