Monday, July 17, 2017

Berlin and... Dang it's already over

Kind of a bittersweet feeling. I’m super pumped to be heading to Berlin, but at the same time it’s my last day in Bonn, a place that I’ve called home during these past few weeks, and it’s the last week of the entire program as well.

The last day in Bonn was great, I ended the day at a local winery with my host family and host “grandparents”. Me, Carter, Dae, and Paisley had a wonderful last dinner underneath the hills filled with vineyards outside of Bonn on the other side of the Rhine. I’m definitely going to miss my host family after they so kindly made me one of the family for the summer. They even gave me a book of Bonn to remember all the highlights of this cool little city on the Rhine.

The next day we carried all of our luggage from the entire trip (a huge pain hahah) to the train station and departed on our final excursion to Berlin. Berlin was such an interesting city. It had such an Austin/hip vibe to it as being such a modern city, combined with the extensive amount of history from World War II and the Berlin Wall Era. Our opening city bike tour guide showed us all the big sites from the Victory Gate to Parliamentary building as well as remains of the Berlin Wall separating East/West Berlin into two sectors. Sidenote: this bike tour was much more successful with way fewer crashes than our Norderney experience. A couple of my favorite history lessons learned from the tour were when we visited Hitler’s old palace and bunker where he eventually killed himself, which in present day is a hotel and parking lot. If just passing by, I would have had no idea the things that happened right below my own two feet. Another thing I really enjoyed were the stories about “East Berliners” as they were referred to in the Communist sector of Berlin, attempting to escape over a progressively more dangerous wall that was reinforced and expanded upon for years until it finally came down in 1989. One thing that was really hard hitting was a spray painted graffiti message on the West side of the wall that said “To Astrid: Maybe one day we will be together again”. Dang I can’t even comprehend the hardships faced by families split up and kept apart because of the wall.

Another thing that was really intense to see was the Sachsenhausen concentration camp outside Berlin, one of the model camps for future concentration and death camps spread across Europe. Being inside there, something felt a little bit off. I felt a little bit uncomfortable standing and taking pictures of a place where people were taken, because of race/religion/difference, as prisoners and held in such terrible conditions and forced to work to keep the Nazi campaign afloat. I don’t want to spend much time on this, because it really is hard to write about as someone that hasn’t felt anywhere near the pain that the people here had to endure. One thing that was interesting though, when the camp was liberated, it was still used by the Soviets as POW camp where similar mistreatment continued to happen. Which is crazy to me. How was it still being for somewhat similar purposes after they fought to liberate it?

We did some pretty interesting things in Berlin from a medical perspective as well. We visited a German medical school as well as a prosthetic leg/arm company in Berlin called “Autobock”. That was probably the highlight of the city for me from a learning standpoint as a Biomedical Engineer, learning a little behind the biomechanics, controls, and struggles for each of these replacement legs and arms/hands. That combined with the history of the company stemming from WWI where there was a very high need for solutions for amputee patients.

Now on to some more fun things. On Thursday night a lot of us went to a Blink 182 concert right outside of Berlin, that was a blast, wow. I’m not much of a Blink fan but being there with all my new friends, whom I’ve grown super close to over the past few weeks, just jamming out and singing every song we knew was so much fun. And to make things even more interesting it was pouring rain the whole night, so all of us were running around in ponchos with umbrellas trying to stay dry, to no avail. That was probably the best night we had here in Berlin.

The last day of the program, our going away dinner. I really couldn’t believe how fast it went by that the last night all together was upon us. Dinner was a blast and the food was amazing, Henning even gave us all signed copies of his fire new album that I’m gonna be jamming the rest of the summer. Looking back on that night, it’s sad that it’s all over, but with all the experiences we’ve gone through together and the adventures through a foreign country we’ve had, I can’t help but be excited to keep expanding on these new relationships I’ve made and to see how I’ve grown from such an enlightening experience.

That’s all folks. What a summer. I’m so thankful and glad that I got the opportunity to study abroad with such good people by my side; from my professors/directors, to all my new friends going through the program with me, and all the people I met along the way from various different countries.

Auf Wedersen, Deutschland. Hopefully I’ll be back someday.





I’ll be traveling to Spain and Italy after the program so the adventure isn’t quite over yet. Tshcuss for now!

No comments: