Friday, July 21, 2017

Blog 11: Reflection

Its officially been over a week since I left Europe. I got to spend some extra time in London with family where I got to visit Westminster Abby, Waterloo station, Big Ben, the Churchill war rooms, Kew gardens, Buckingham palace, saint johns park, and more. I'm thankful that visit came after the program. My aunt likes to walk very fast and encouraged me to go explore the city in the evenings. I cant imagine trying to navigate the city or the transportation system by myself before. I'm sure I would of managed somehow. I had to start somewhere…



Now that I'm back in the states I have this weird feeling that it never happened. That I was just in a coma and it was all a dream. I have pictures and memories but it really went by so fast. I think it also helped that my culture shock when I arrived and reverse culture shock returning was very minimal if not nonexistent. I think the most stressful part about the first week was navigating the public transportation and the bathrooms. Not necessarily that you had to pay for some of them( I didn’t encounter those until Koblenz), but the fact that the toilets were buttons instead of flushable handles seems to really freak me out for some reason. That and the fact that I got locked in a stall in Frankfurt not 3 hours after we arrived. I do feel like a different person. 7 weeks isn’t a significantly long amount of time, and I'm a firm believer any permanent changes take time and practice and patience to achieve, but I do feel different. I went in with an open mind, ready to meet people and learn about the world and myself  and I did come back with some new self discoveries. First off, although I loved to travel and explore and meet people, I learned that down time is a very important thing for me. I like to give 110 percent of myself in everything I do(what's the point of doing something if your not going to really commit to it), but when the social activities and learning opportunities come in a non-stop stream it can be overwhelming. I really wanted to do it all, which is why I think I got sick twice. I was pushing myself to hard to do everything, when realistically I should of just done my research and really committed to a few experiences and allotted myself more time to rest and reflect. I found on the days where I had to stay home because of a migraine or bronchitis that I felt like I was missing out, where as if I had planned time for myself i likely would of been more content with the alone time. The second major lesson that I learned is that I can(for the most part) take care of myself. AIB really wanted us to have all the resources we needed in the case of an emergency(primarily phone numbers and German cellphones), but in reality I really spent most of the free time on the trip relying on the people I just met at the beginning of the program or myself. In general we had a really amazing group of people, but there were several occasions that reminded me that ultimately I'm the only one responsible for myself. I don’t feel bad that I cant drink like some of the people I met in the program or some of the locals. I learned the value of knowing your own limits and how important that is. In Prague I got too intoxicated for my own good and could have had an especially bad night if I didn’t spot some fellow ags on the way home. That was my fault, and I think about it often. Another outcome of this trip is I have absolutely no money left. I really did not budget like I should have. That's been fairly stressful, but it was also a wake up call. I start working again in August.

A lot of people ask me what my favorite place is and its really hard to pick one. There's so much history and culture everywhere we went. I really appreciated having Dr. Wasser as a professor. He really opened my 20 year old American eyes to some amazing things. There's no way that I would think to research a random plaque on a building or on the ground, but with his guidance it was a regular thing to find stories in the most unexpected places. These past few weeks have been non-stop new experiences, and I think overall a very successful first exposure to travel and European culture. You can bet ill be back. 
Tschuss!

No comments: