Monday, July 03, 2017

Most unforgettable 6 weeks of my life

Here I am, 6 countries, 6 weeks, and countless memories later, I'm almost home. It seems unreal. A part of me missed home and how easy it is to get around in Texas but another part felt like I'd never go home. The strangers I met 6 weeks ago have become some of my very best friends. They became my definition of "home" for a short period of time. Of course I knew I'd cry last night. I cried partially because the program is over but mainly because I can't quite understand how these past 6 weeks were so perfect. It had always been a bucket list item to study abroad. I didn't need any of these courses in my degree plan but I'm blessed my parents are understanding and willing to give me this experience. I guarantee I will tell everyone I know to study abroad at least once in their life. It is life changing. You find out things about you and gain a certain knowledge you can't obtain just by sitting in lecture halls. 

This last week had its ups and downs. Saying goodbye to my host mom was sad. She was a very bright, kind woman. She cared for us probably better than any other host parents and I'm blessed we had her care for us for 6 weeks. The bike tour in Berlin was wonderful and very enlightening. Our tour guide was wonderful and took us to about 12 different historical places around Berlin. I love how they don't want to hide their history. What happened happened and they don't hide the bullet holes. My only wish is that we had more free time to go back to these places and really soak in the history.

On Wednesday we visited Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. My heart physically ached for the terror and sadness that had passed through that camp many years before. I don't understand how people can come visit this place and take smiling selfies or just smiling pictures in general. I can't even start to understand the thinking behind the murderers who ran that camp. I know a lot of them were brain washed but I could never live with myself knowing what was going on in that camp. For the poor souls that perished there and the souls that were liberated but had to live with those horrific memories, I pray for you. I am glad I got to learn more about this place and dive deeper into Germany's history.

We visited an alchemy fair and prosthetics facility the next day. It was definitely interesting to see the "magical" science that existed in the past. A good amount of us went to the Blink 182 concert that night. Wow that concert was definitely memorable and so much fun. It was a perfect end to a perfect trip. It rained A LOT this week haha but hey it makes it more memorable. I'll never forget my $5 umbrella breaking in half right in front of the tram. It's the little things that have happened on this trip that have made me a stronger/wiser person. 


This trip taught me a little German, how to travel efficiently and effectively, and to always strike up a conversation with a kind strange. Oh the stories I heard and the people I met on this trip. German, British, Costa Rican, Texan, Swiss, Italian, the list goes on and on of the amazing people I've met. I'm definitely going to miss hearing crazy life stories when I go out but I guess College Station will have to do for now. I can't lie and say this trip hasn't gotten me thinking about attending vet school in Europe. If life and money permit me, I might be back for you Germany. Thank you for a new amazing group of friends, an insane amount of new knowledge, and the experience of a lifetime. 

I hope this is only the beginning of my life adventures because the travel bug has definitely bitten me.  Now I have to get back to reality and start focusing on my future again, whatever that may be. Thank you Germany for the little slice of bliss. 

tchüss!!!

Sarah

No comments: