Monday, July 03, 2017

München

Alright, let me start off by talking about my first weekend trip. I never had a chance to blog about it . So, our first Saturday in Germany, I hopped on a train to Munich, which wasn’t that bad. The train ride was direct and only about 5-6 hours long. We had dinner at the Hofbräuhaus, which is an old beer hall that dates back a couple centuries. I really enjoyed the atmosphere there and the food. It had a beer hall, beer garden, and a restaurant all furnished with great German music. From the Hofbräuhaus, let’s make our way to the Deutsches Museum, which is the large museum of science and technology. As a biomedical science major, this was one museum that really intrigued me. There was so much to see in this museum. It basically had 8 floors (the ground level, an underground level, and 6 other regular levels). The pharmaceutics exhibition of the museum is one I really liked. It contained a variety of interesting demonstrations involving the cardiovascular system,  respiratory tract, nerves and pain, and much more. It even had a walk-in model of a human cell! I would have liked to have seen the Planetarium and two observatory domes, as well, but that was not possible. Now let’s make our way to St. Peter’s Church, which is the oldest church in the city.  We climbed about 299 steps to the top of St. Peter’s tower to get a 360° panoramic view of the city. Although, it was A LOT of steps and cost 2 euros (there was an entrance fee), it was totally worth it for such an exceptional view. Unlike other European churches, the exterior architecture did not really appeal to me. It was very plain. However, the interior of the church was fascinating. Its soaring fresco ceiling was the one thing that stood out to me. Fun fact, it was my first church to visit in Europe but not my last. 


No comments: